[SOLVED] Port Forwarding Sagemcom F@st 5657 (CG-NAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2020
Hi all. My router and ISP was changed last week and its closed up all ports (and increased NAT to strict) making online gaming an ordeal.

So far I have:

1. created a static IPv4 which works
  2. created rules for the ports and port ranges TCP and UDP in the router
  3. allowed incoming and outgoing traffic for the relevant ports

N.B. All of this has been done without much prior knowledge (i.e. following video tutorials)

I´ve tried adding some screenshots but it isn´t working.

Is it possible that the ISP has restricted port forwarding? Is that even a thing?

Many thanks

M

Solution
DMZ is on most home routers is not what many people call DMZ. Not sure why it is called that since it only provides a small part of what say a commercial firewall does.

DMZ basically is the same as port forwarding all the ports to the same internal machine. It is a very good way to test since port forwarding can be very confusing to setup on some routers. You have to be careful because it may expose ports you do not want open but with a game console it is less risk.

This is actually one of the recommended methods of troubleshooting. Be very sure the DMZ is pointing to the ip address of your machine.

In many cases you do not even need to set this stuff up. A feature on most router called UPnP is used by game consoles to...
@54CymruBeats
I assume you got the router from your ISP. Yes, your ISP can control the software on your router, but if they do, they will normally just take away the feature. Leaving a feature on the router, but making it not work just causes frustration for the users (ok, so in a perfect world they woudln't do that, but we know the world is not perfect).

Just some notes from what you have said:
Outgoing traffic should not be an issue. Routers control what comes in, but generally will let anything out.
If you are using a port checking website to test your port forwarding, you need some kind of server on your computer to respond to the request. Consider this; The website send a request on port XX, the router passes it along to the computer, but the computer has no clue what to do with it, so it just drops it. To the website this looks just like the router is blocking that port.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all. My router and ISP was changed last week and its closed up all ports (and increased NAT to strict) making online gaming an ordeal.

So far I have:

1. created a static IPv4 which works
  2. created rules for the ports and port ranges TCP and UDP in the router
  3. allowed incoming and outgoing traffic for the relevant ports
N.B. All of this has been done without much prior knowledge (i.e. following video tutorials)

I´ve tried adding some screenshots but it isn´t working.

Is it possible that the ISP has restricted port forwarding? Is that even a thing?

Many thanks

M
First check to see if you have a public IP address. If the WAN address starts with 172, or 192, or 10, or 100 then you don't have a public IP address and port forwarding won't work.

Reactions: SamirD
Jul 18, 2020
I have checked and I have a public IP starting in different numbers, so I suppose isn´t the issue (?!)

As far as port checking websites, I´ve been using a combination of these and also loading up the game (Modern Warfare) to check.

I called my ISP and explained to them my issue and they forwarded me to one of their technicians who enabled DMZ. Am I right in thinking that they got the wrong end of the stick, of have I overlooked something? I didn´t think a DMZ would be needed for port forwarding.

I had to call in my second language, so perhaps that´s where the issue arose from.

Looking through the router settings, there are options such as:

DHCP (enabled)
Static Routing
DNS configuration
Router Firewall (currently set to the default : allow all)

I´ll be sure to check back in very soon, as you folk respond efficiently! Thanks

Last edited:
DMZ is on most home routers is not what many people call DMZ. Not sure why it is called that since it only provides a small part of what say a commercial firewall does.

DMZ basically is the same as port forwarding all the ports to the same internal machine. It is a very good way to test since port forwarding can be very confusing to setup on some routers. You have to be careful because it may expose ports you do not want open but with a game console it is less risk.

This is actually one of the recommended methods of troubleshooting. Be very sure the DMZ is pointing to the ip address of your machine.

In many cases you do not even need to set this stuff up. A feature on most router called UPnP is used by game consoles to get around this problem. Make sure it is turned on.

Reactions: anotherdrew
Solution
Jul 18, 2020
UPnP is active, but in this case I´m trying to port forward my PC. Sorry I didnt´mention this earlier!

Ok, I´ll read up a bit more on DMZs, and try this as a troubleshooting method. I won´t jump into it, as I have little clue of what I´m doing... I will most likely be back soon, because: Networking!

Thanks for the responses so far

Jul 18, 2020
Further update: It looks like my ISP uses CG-NAT

I have called ISP and they are removing CG-NAT (providing me with a unique public IP address) so hopefully that does the trick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.