[SOLVED] Port forwarding straight up doesn't work.

Marko_17

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Hello,

I recently got a new ISP, but when I tried to port forward it straight up didn't work.

I know how port forwarding works, it was successful while I had my previous ISP, but now the ports appear to be opened, however whenever I check using a website like
it says that they're closed.
I turning off firewall, opening a different port, making a hole in the firewall for the port, all without any success.

I also googled far and wide, tried all of those solutions but nothing helped.

My router is a 854g-2 calix, if that helps.

I've tried everything I know, basically.

Here are some images:
View: https://imgur.com/a/C3Gsczl

View: https://imgur.com/a/8Kwbtlh

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
You have to somehow get control over the device that gets the real ip address. If that is not possible then you can not get it to work.

There is the unlikely case that you have a second router in your house. Some people mistake a device for a modem when it is really a modem and router.

The much more common cause of this issue is your ISP does not have enough public ip addresses so it shares them between customers. They use NAT on one of their routers to accomplish this. This means any port forwarding would need to be done in that router and they do not want to deal with the support nightmare it would be to try to do it.

You could try to call the ISP and see if they offer "public" ip addresses. Some ISP do it for a...
Is the ip address you see in the port scanner the same as the one your router has on its wan port. If they are different there is another router running nat in the path and you will likely never get it to work.

For ports to be open the traffic has to get to the end machine and the end machine must respond. So it could be a issue that the machine is getting the traffic but not responding. The program could be down or using the wrong port.

If you get really stuck load wireshark on your machine. You should be able to see the packets come in and you will know if your machine send a response.

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Your second Port Forwarding rule is redundant, by the way.

Also, I have never been able to get any of those open port sites to actually work. Especially if you are behind a Gateway (Modem/Router combined supplied by ISP), if you do have a gateway the best way to go about this I would assume is to DMZ your router (bypasses firewall and delivers all incoming/outgoing packets directly to the router, aka exposes your router to the Internet) then check to see if the port forwarding works? I personally have never been able to figure out how to get those sites to actually see the open ports, but I believe that they must be first opened on your router and the end machine must be able to respond as he stated above.

Might temporarily just for testing purposes try opening/forwarding all ports and see if the site works for any port? 1-65535, I believe would be the port range?

Marko_17

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Is the ip address you see in the port scanner the same as the one your router has on its wan port. If they are different there is another router running nat in the path and you will likely never get it to work.

This appears to be the case.
What do you exactly mean by "likely never getting it to work"? Does that imply that there exists a solution? Would contacting my ISP help in any way?
Thanks for the reply.

You have to somehow get control over the device that gets the real ip address. If that is not possible then you can not get it to work.

There is the unlikely case that you have a second router in your house. Some people mistake a device for a modem when it is really a modem and router.

The much more common cause of this issue is your ISP does not have enough public ip addresses so it shares them between customers. They use NAT on one of their routers to accomplish this. This means any port forwarding would need to be done in that router and they do not want to deal with the support nightmare it would be to try to do it.

You could try to call the ISP and see if they offer "public" ip addresses. Some ISP do it for a extra charge others will do not offer the service no matter how much you are willing to pay.

There are other rather crazy solution to this involving VPN but those cost money also. You maybe better off paying a hosting services to host the server it is likely cheaper than other options.

Solution