[SOLVED] Port forwarding with optimum not working

iXorizon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
Hi guys, so recently the past days ive been trying to port forward using the optimum service, i need to port forward so i can make my friends over the internet join my minecraft server, the port is 25565, but every time i try to do it they cant connect and when i test the port online to see if its open, it says the port is closed

Solution
Looking at your modem, it is really a single-device unit - you can connect only one computer behind it, and in that case you don't need port forwarding, because your computer is connected directly to the internet.

If there's another device between your computer, and the modem, this is the router, and YOU should be the person administering it.

What IP address did you gave your friends to connect to? You have to contact your ISP and see whether they're giving "public IP address" (which will work for you) or not.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router (or modem/router)?

Do you have administrative access to your home network router?

The router's User Guide/Manual should provide the necessary procedure and the accompanying set up screens.

However, all is moot if you do not have administrative rights to the router's configuration screens.

And there may be other factors involved - firewalls perhaps.

Here is a reference link that should help you work out the overall process needed to setup Minecraft port-forwarding.

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/how-to-host-and-configure-a-minecraft-server-with-no-ip/

More specifically using a Linksys router as an example:

https://portforward.com/linksys/

Check the above links and then google for similar links using search terms and phrases that are a closer match to your network environment.

The problem could be just some configuration error of omission or commission.

iXorizon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
Make and model router (or modem/router)?

Do you have administrative access to your home network router?

The router's User Guide/Manual should provide the necessary procedure and the accompanying set up screens.

However, all is moot if you do not have administrative rights to the router's configuration screens.

And there may be other factors involved - firewalls perhaps.

Here is a reference link that should help you work out the overall process needed to setup Minecraft port-forwarding.

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/how-to-host-and-configure-a-minecraft-server-with-no-ip/

More specifically using a Linksys router as an example:

https://portforward.com/linksys/

Check the above links and then google for similar links using search terms and phrases that are a closer match to your network environment.

The problem could be just some configuration error of omission or commission.
i have an Arris TM1602 which for some reason isn't listed on portforward.com
And what do you mean by administrative access?

That is a not so common device but it is still a stupid modem with a couple of phone ports.

This makes it confusing. If you plug directly into this box with your PC then you do not need port forwarding since there is no router. If your game server does not work that generally means the ISP is somehow blocking it. In many cases it is being blocked because the ISP is not giving you a public IP.

If you have another device other than your PC plugged into the modem that is likely your router.

Ralston18

Titan
Administrative access = Administrative rights = Administrative control of the router.

The administrator with those rights controls the use of the router: who has network access, when do they have access, how much access they can have (Quality of Service aka QoS). The IP addresses to be used by the network, the wireless access, the network name, the access password.

And administrative rights also include what ports can be forwarded with respect to the destination computer and port via a static IP address and the MAC of the destination computer.

So you must identify your router and find out who is managing the router. And then work with that person to establish the desired Minecraft server and the necessary Port Forwarding configuration.

However if, as mentioned, the ISP is blocking then even the router's administrator may not be able to do anything at all.

iXorizon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
Administrative access = Administrative rights = Administrative control of the router.

The administrator with those rights controls the use of the router: who has network access, when do they have access, how much access they can have (Quality of Service aka QoS). The IP addresses to be used by the network, the wireless access, the network name, the access password.

And administrative rights also include what ports can be forwarded with respect to the destination computer and port via a static IP address and the MAC of the destination computer.

So you must identify your router and find out who is managing the router. And then work with that person to establish the desired Minecraft server and the necessary Port Forwarding configuration.

However if, as mentioned, the ISP is blocking then even the router's administrator may not be able to do anything at all.
i really don't understand what you are saying right now

Ralston18

Titan
Analogy:

The network router is locked.

You cannot make the necessary port-forwarding changes to the router because the router is locked.

You do not have the "key" - i.e., administrative rights to the router.

The router's administrator has the "key" to unlock the router.

The router's administrator will have to make the changes to the router for you.

If that person choses to do so.

Looking at your modem, it is really a single-device unit - you can connect only one computer behind it, and in that case you don't need port forwarding, because your computer is connected directly to the internet.

If there's another device between your computer, and the modem, this is the router, and YOU should be the person administering it.

What IP address did you gave your friends to connect to? You have to contact your ISP and see whether they're giving "public IP address" (which will work for you) or not.

Solution

Latest posts