[SOLVED] Port forwarding wont work, i tried LITERALLY everything

May 16, 2021
I want to forward the port 25565 for my minecraft server, and I can't seem to do that.

Things I've tried to do:

Windows Firewall is off
Windows Defender is off
Modem firewall is off
No other virus/firewall software
My IP is static
My Wan-IP is static
Tried looking through the WHOLE internet and yet nothing.
Tried turning on the DMZ, and port triggers.

My modem is: Technicolor TC7210-DMS

This modem and the modem i had before are both NAT.
The one before was simpler, it was ZXHN H168N V3.1
And on the old one it worked fine.

Hope someone can help!

Solution
I dont know if anyone will want to know this but i did solve this, I asked my isp for a public STATIC ip address, they said that i can get one i just need to pay the 7 euro fee monthly, i got that and now i have port forwarding. I was behind a CGNAT and that was the problem, i now understand that there is an IPv4 shortage but this can all be avoided if isps used IPv6 addresses instead of IPv4.
Those 2 modems use different technology for the connection so you must have done much more than just swap equipment you likely changed ISP even.

The most common cause of this when you are sure you have done all the port forwarding correctly is that you do not have a public IP address.

Check the IP you see on the WAN interface of your modem/router. Compare this with a site like whatsmyip. If the 2 ip addresses are not the same you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work.

The only other thing would be that there is some issue with the program and it is not actually open on the port you are testing.

May 16, 2021
The documentation for that router is terrible. I couldn't find an option in the manual to see the WAN IP. You are going to have to go through the GUI and see if it shows an IP address.
You might have to contact your ISP and ask if you have a public IP address.
The closest thing to an IP i have is this. This probably isnt a smart idea but: My ip is 178.79.32.11

WAN
IPv4 Address:100.64.32.108
MAC Address:80:29:94:1c:72:39
DurationD: 00 H: 03 M: 00 S: 00
Expires:Tue May 18 17:54:58 2021
IPv4 DNS Servers:178.79.32.6

May 18, 2021
The closest thing to an IP i have is this. This probably isnt a smart idea but: My ip is 178.79.32.11

WAN
Your WAN IP add is a private ip . So you are likely behind a Double NAT or a CGNAT in which port forwarding does not work (unless your ISP configures it for you)

kanewolf

Titan

WAN
Yep. You have an IP address of 100.x.y.z That is a "carrier NAT" address. You can't port forward, because there is another router between your router and the internet. You will have to contact your ISP to see if you can get (or buy) a public IP address.

May 16, 2021
Yep. You have an IP address of 100.x.y.z That is a "carrier NAT" address. You can't port forward, because there is another router between your router and the internet. You will have to contact your ISP to see if you can get (or buy) a public IP address.
Guess i'll have to call them.

Maybe you get lucky and they will give you one. In many cases it is going to be cheaper to just rent a minecraft server from one of the many hosting companies. A family friend asked his ISP and they wanted a extra $35 on top of the almost $100 they were already charging each month.

May 16, 2021
Maybe you get lucky and they will give you one. In many cases it is going to be cheaper to just rent a minecraft server from one of the many hosting companies. A family friend asked his ISP and they wanted a extra $35 on top of the almost $100 they were already charging each month.

$35 is a lot for only a public ip, i don't understand why would they price something that many ISPs give for free that much.

kanewolf

Titan
$35 is a lot for only a public ip, i don't understand why would they price something that many ISPs give for free that much.
Supply and demand. Some ISPs don't have a lot of public IPs. They use carrier NAT to stretch the amount they have. So giving you a public IP costs them something in expandability, They can't use that public IP on a router to serve 50 more installations, for example.

May 16, 2021
Supply and demand. Some ISPs don't have a lot of public IPs. They use carrier NAT to stretch the amount they have. So giving you a public IP costs them something in expandability, They can't use that public IP on a router to serve 50 more installations, for example.
I didnt call them, i sent them a message probably around 200 characters long. They just asked me: "Do you want a public IP address?" I said yes and now i am waiting for their answer.

Okay so they answered with asking for my details i gave them and once again im waiting.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
May 16, 2021
I dont know if anyone will want to know this but i did solve this, I asked my isp for a public STATIC ip address, they said that i can get one i just need to pay the 7 euro fee monthly, i got that and now i have port forwarding. I was behind a CGNAT and that was the problem, i now understand that there is an IPv4 shortage but this can all be avoided if isps used IPv6 addresses instead of IPv4.

Solution