Portable air conditioner shutting down before reaching temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

2dr

Aug 9, 2020
We purchased a Danby 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and are having issues with it shutting off before it reaches the desired room temperature. We have 12 inches of clearance on the front and sides, and 20 inches of clearance on the back (which is what the manual advices), and we vacuum the filters once a week. We set the temperature to 17 degrees and use the "follow me" feature, removing the remote away from the direct flow of air from the unit in order to get a more realistic temperature for the room (which is 138 square feet).

We have been finding that the air conditioner will shut off before it reaches 17 degrees, and then turns on again shortly after, which is very disruptive of sleep. Is there anything else we can do to avoid the unit shutting off before achieving the desired temperature? Or is there something malfunctioning with the unit?

kanewolf

Titan
We purchased a Danby 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and are having issues with it shutting off before it reaches the desired room temperature. We have 12 inches of clearance on the front and sides, and 20 inches of clearance on the back (which is what the manual advices), and we vacuum the filters once a week. We set the temperature to 17 degrees and use the "follow me" feature, removing the remote away from the direct flow of air from the unit in order to get a more realistic temperature for the room (which is 138 square feet).

We have been finding that the air conditioner will shut off before it reaches 17 degrees, and then turns on again shortly after, which is very disruptive of sleep. Is there anything else we can do to avoid the unit shutting off before achieving the desired temperature? Or is there something malfunctioning with the unit?
17C is pretty low to try to get an airconditioner to cool. It may just not be able to cool that low. If you set it to 22C does it maintain that temp?

2dr

Aug 9, 2020
17C is pretty low to try to get an airconditioner to cool. It may just not be able to cool that low. If you set it to 22C does it maintain that temp?
We initially tried to set the temperature to 21C, but this only exacerbated the problem, because it could achieve 21C quite quickly and would shut off for a min or two then turn on again, all night long.

kanewolf

Titan
We initially tried to set the temperature to 21C, but this only exacerbated the problem, because it could achieve 21C quite quickly and would shut off for a min or two then turn on again, all night long.
It sounds like you would like it to run continuously. Have you tried the "dehumidifier mode" ?

2dr

Aug 9, 2020
It sounds like you would like it to run continuously. Have you tried the "dehumidifier mode" ?
Yes that is correct, would like it to run continuously. We have not tried the dehumidifier mode, would that also cool the room?

2dr

Aug 9, 2020
Yes. I have been reading about short cycling and the size of the unit. Initially I was hoping that, with the door open, the unit would be able to cool down more of the apartment.

With certain modifications, we've been able to run the unit the night without it shutting off (at least that we noticed), and so ultimately I was just hoping that we may be able to make other smaller modifications to help it run continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.