[SOLVED] Portable network/server scanning software

Status
Not open for further replies.

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I am looking for portable or client softeware(free/open source) that is able to scan the network and that shows me the shares, usergroups, userrights and more

Anyone who knows if something like that exists?
Thanks in advance

Solution
@enkidoe

This: "That one gets the time to spend months on learning a scripting language ......."

No disagreement per se but it is very likely that, in some very straightforward and simple manner you can GET quite a bit of what you need to know about your network environment.

Just a bit of googling is all that is necessary.

Powershell uses Get cmdlets whose results can be displayed, printed, or piped to other cmdlets.

For example:

Get-SmbShare | Get-SmbShareAccess

Just ran the cmdlet on my computer:

Results:

PS C:\Users\XXXX > Get-SmbShare | Get-SmbShareAccess

Name ScopeName AccountName AccessControlType AccessRight
---- --------- ----------- ----------------- -----------
C$ *...
I suspect the answer is it does not and can not exist.

Now if everything is part of the same network you should be able to use the domain controller and many other tool microsoft has based on group policy etc.

It you just want to scan some random network where you do not have complete control of all the machines you are going to be very lucky if you can find the IP addresses. Security in windows is going to prevent you from seeing anything in a machine you do not already control.

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Many thanks for the reply. The environment is Microsoft with Cisco harwarde. But that might be different. I am looking for a way to inventarise a networkdomainenvironment's users, usernames, devices, shares, policies,rights, all that stuff.

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
It is not as easy as youre typing. To get a report, one needs te create multip[le actions. There isnt one tool in AD that is able to create an overwiev for reporting of Polkicy's, userrights, shares and so on.

enkidoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
This is when you roll up your sleeves, become a real professional, and learn PowerShell. You can do everything you outlined with a little coding.

you dont work for a company, do you? Because otherwise you know that live isnt that easy. That one gets the time to spend months on learning a scripting language and the customer and your boss will wait. In the old days, cacls was used to create an overview of shares. I cannot image there aint nify tools available to do the work for you.

Everything is available I guess for a price. Most people that are certified to run microsoft servers have some ability to write small programs but cheap companies do not want to pay the salary to hire people with actual qualifications for a job. This also means they likely will not pay for many of the network management tools say like solarwinds...which is massive overkill if you only have 1 server.

What you want is a custom report and you would have to be very lucky to find software that meets your exact needs and especially if you want it for free.

The cheapest option may actually be to pay someone to use their extra time to learn a scripting language.

You can always call microsoft, they have lots of contract labor that could crank something out quickly. Then again this is the reason more and more companies are just outsourcing their server management to microsoft. They can get all the custom reports they want likely for about what they pay for their IT employees.

Ralston18

Titan
@enkidoe

This: "That one gets the time to spend months on learning a scripting language ......."

No disagreement per se but it is very likely that, in some very straightforward and simple manner you can GET quite a bit of what you need to know about your network environment.

Just a bit of googling is all that is necessary.

Powershell uses Get cmdlets whose results can be displayed, printed, or piped to other cmdlets.

For example:

Get-SmbShare | Get-SmbShareAccess

Just ran the cmdlet on my computer:

Results:

PS C:\Users\XXXX > Get-SmbShare | Get-SmbShareAccess

Name ScopeName AccountName AccessControlType AccessRight
---- --------- ----------- ----------------- -----------
C$ * BUILTIN\Administrators Allow Full
IPC$ * BUILTIN\Administrators Allow Full
C$ * BUILTIN\Backup Operators Allow Full
IPC$ * BUILTIN\Backup Operators Allow Full
C$ * NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE Allow Full
ADMIN$ * BUILTIN\Administrators Allow Full
IPC$ * NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE Allow Full
ADMIN$ * BUILTIN\Backup Operators Allow Full
F$ * BUILTIN\Administrators Allow Full
ADMIN$ * NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE Allow Full
F$ * BUILTIN\Backup Operators Allow Full
F$ * NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE Allow Full
D$ * BUILTIN\Administrators Allow Full
D$ * BUILTIN\Backup Operators Allow Full
D$ * NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE Allow Full

====

My point being that it only took a few minutes to find some "script" that may be good start on finding out some of what you need to know with regards to your environment.

Likely that, overall, you will be able to obtain about 80% of what you need to know based on about 20% of the overall effort.

And there are many Powershell scripts available that will scan a network and gather information regarding the targeted devices.

People post all sorts of Powershell scripts and make them (aka "nifty tools") available for public use. Take advantage of those peoples' work and effort.

There certainly are and will be circumstances where a Powershell script is complicated - true for any coding language.

Start small and simple. Build your knowledge and skills accordingly.

I would rather have a dozen simple scripts to work with than some huge cumbersome "all singing all dancing" script that is a nightmare to maintain and document. And possibly go sour with some future changes by Microsoft or other involved entity.

Plus being able to eventually to customize and otherwise enhance scripts will likely save you more time in the future. And add to your professional growth.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.