News Portal RTX to Put Suitable GPUs to the Test This December, for Free

This here: "The game is not Steam Deck compatible" is a huge red flag to me.

It reads as if nVidia is using some form of proprietary implementation via their own libraries or API that is not portable, or at least is not yet portable to neither Linux (big surprise) or that can run natively in AMD hardware. Like it or not, the APU in the Steam Deck DOES support RayTracing, so I see no reason why it can't run there, at all.

Regards.

Reactions: artk2219
D

Deleted member 1353997

It reads as if nVidia is using some form of proprietary implementation via their own libraries or API that is not portable, or at least is not yet portable to neither Linux (big surprise) or that can run natively in AMD hardware. Like it or not, the APU in the Steam Deck DOES support RayTracing, so I see no reason why it can't run there, at all.

Regards.
The Steam store page does not mention the Steam Deck at all, so this reads more like "Tom's interpretation" to me than some "nefarious Nvidia ploy".

The only reason I see why it would not be Steam Deck compatible, is because it lists "partial controller support" and only mentions Windows as supported OS. To be fair, though, the same applies to the original Portal (except the original Portal also lists macOS).

I believe it's more likely that if the Steam Deck can run Portal (which I'm sure it can) and supports DXR or Vulkan Ray Tracing, then it can run Portal RTX. In other words, Tom's interpretation may very well be premature.
We'll know by next week anyway.

The Steam store page does not mention the Steam Deck at all, so this reads more like "Tom's interpretation" to me than some "nefarious Nvidia ploy".

The only reason I see why it would not be Steam Deck compatible, is because it lists "partial controller support" and only mentions Windows as supported OS. To be fair, though, the same applies to the original Portal (except the original Portal also lists macOS).

I believe it's more likely that if the Steam Deck can run Portal (which I'm sure it can) and supports DXR or Vulkan Ray Tracing, then it can run Portal RTX. In other words, Tom's interpretation may very well be premature.
I've tweaked the text, but given the Windows requirement and the likely hardware demands of Portal RTX, plus the fact that this is a specialized "DLC" of sorts, I'd be surprised if it runs at all on a Steam Deck at launch.

I have a Deck and I run Portal in it. It runs it with no issues at all. Steam's policy is to list "native support" for all games and then throw them into the "Proton compatibility list" for non-native Linux games.

I do agree with Tom's interpretation, but you're not wrong either. I hope I'm overreacting, but this is nVidia we're talking about.

Regards.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Ive seen the trailer showcasing DLSS3 scoring 100fps vs 20fps native..... I mean rally, is that on a RTX4090 at 4K? Let's hope not, it would be TOO MUCH IN YOUR FACE "we tanked this game performance on purpose just so you think you need DLSS3 and *** AMD".

Ive seen the trailer showcasing DLSS3 scoring 100fps vs 20fps native..... I mean rally, is that on a RTX4090 at 4K? Let's hope not, it would be TOO MUCH IN YOUR FACE "we tanked this game performance on purpose just so you think you need DLSS3 and *** AMD".
Keep in mind that 20 fps result is at 4K. Native 4K with complex ray tracing is always going to be demanding. So, upscaling 1080p to 4K probably runs at 60 fps or so, and then DLSS3 Frame Generation gets the game up to 100 fps — and yes, very possibly that's on an RTX 4090. That's my guess, anyway.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Keep in mind that 20 fps result is at 4K. Native 4K with complex ray tracing is always going to be demanding. So, upscaling 1080p to 4K probably runs at 60 fps or so, and then DLSS3 Frame Generation gets the game up to 100 fps — and yes, very possibly that's on an RTX 4090. That's my guess, anyway.

You call it "complex ray tracing" I call it "marketing", aka "tanking performance on purpose" to sell your new product and sabotage competition; Nvidia did this so many times we lost the count. The Portal RTX trailers are really underwhelming graphic wise but you expect me to believe it's actually more demanding than open world games like Minecraft RTX or Cyberpunk Psycho ? C'mon.. no need to be naive here.

Everybody likes Portal, it's an instant sell as a remaster with pretty lights, they took it and stamped on it "only on RTX4000 series". If 20fps is all a 4090 can do then the 3080 can do what, 10? The 3060 gets 5? Lol. Ok lower the resolution to 1080p, now the 3060 can maybe get into the 30s with DLSS2? You kidding me? I'm all in for a game like TES6 show up with such high graphical blings that a 4060 runs it 30fps average, the new Crysis of this generation. But a old old old game that plays inside a room??? C'mon.. if this game can't run 60fps on a 3060 maxed out at 1080p native you should know something is fishy. It's. Inside. A. Room. FGS

Last edited:

mhmarefat

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
This is very sad that some people are actually falling for corporate greed masquerading as "cool new game" being imposed upon them and fooling themselves into believing they NEED Ray-Tracing BS in their gaming lives and need to pay $1k to greedy moron corporations to achieve it. Actually very sad times that we're living. Money has become god and those who disagree are being deceived into acceptance.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017

Regards.
The steam deck only supports ray tracing in Windows. The RADV drivers used in Steam OS do not support ray tracing. Ray tracing support can be enabled in newer versions of RADV with an environment variable but the performance is terrible.

This is very sad that some people are actually falling for corporate greed masquerading as "cool new game" being imposed upon them and fooling themselves into believing they NEED Ray-Tracing BS in their gaming lives and need to pay $1k to greedy moron corporations to achieve it. Actually very sad times that we're living. Money has become god and those who disagree are being deceived into acceptance.
That would make sense if portal would be an expensive game but at almost every sale you can get the valve complete pack for 6€ and that includes portal and portal 2 (and all the old half-lifes) , and this RTX port is a free DLC for the game.

If you are talking about Nvidia then what you say doesn't make any sense since nvidia doesn't control what dev will bring out which RTX game or port.
They do introduce new features in their cards because they have to do something to sell new cards.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
They do introduce new features in their cards because they have to do something to sell new cards.
more like they have to justify their over priced cards, nvidia has priced their cards out of reach of quite a few people that i know and work with,

introduce new features is fine, just dont also over charge for it, which it seems, and those i know, agree, rtx 4000 series, is over priced, and will not pay the prices those cards are going for here, 4090 starts at $2200, and tops out at almost $2800 4080, $1600 to $2100, way too much for these cards

The steam deck only supports ray tracing in Windows. The RADV drivers used in Steam OS do not support ray tracing. Ray tracing support can be enabled in newer versions of RADV with an environment variable but the performance is terrible.
Ah, thanks for that clarification. So it is because they can't port it to Linux (SteamOS) just yet.

This is where nVidia would actually get a lot of brownie points if they help Valve get RT working on SteamOS reliably and with good performance, even if they have to do it for AMD hardware initially; I'm sure those lessons learned will work for Nintendo's future "SwitchRTX" (lel). I'm not sure what AMD thinks about RT, but I will have to side with nVidia on this and say I'd like to see them push RT everywhere, since it is the ultimate visual experience and there's no second readings there.

As for the Steam Deck's capabilities for RT. Most people here would be surprised at ho well it can handle RT. I haven't tested it first hand, since I don't own any RT-enabled games, but just using demanding games via Proton in SteamOS, it's just mind blowing how well everything runs and looks.

Regards.

You call it "complex ray tracing" I call it "marketing", aka "tanking performance on purpose" to sell your new product and sabotage competition; Nvidia did this so many times we lost the count. The Portal RTX trailers are really underwhelming graphic wise but you expect me to believe it's actually more demanding than open world games like Minecraft RTX or Cyberpunk Psycho ? C'mon.. no need to be naive here.

Everybody likes Portal, it's an instant sell as a remaster with pretty lights, they took it and stamped on it "only on RTX4000 series". If 20fps is all a 4090 can do then the 3080 can do what, 10? The 3060 gets 5? Lol. Ok lower the resolution to 1080p, now the 3060 can maybe get into the 30s with DLSS2? You kidding me? I'm all in for a game like TES6 show up with such high graphical blings that a 4060 runs it 30fps average, the new Crysis of this generation. But a old old old game that plays inside a room??? C'mon.. if this game can't run 60fps on a 3060 maxed out at 1080p native you should know something is fishy. It's. Inside. A. Room. FGS
No need to be blind as to what ray tracing means, either, or to conflate 4K native performance with lower resolutions.

If you're doing ray tracing, you have to do ray/box and ray/triangle intersection calculations for every ray. The more complex the ray tracing, the more rays are involved. Really good simulated effects for shadows and lighting can at least get relatively close to approximating RT quality, so the gains are smaller. Reflections are still the one area where stuff like SSR fails to come anywhere close to RT in a lot of situations. So, when I say "complex ray tracing" and the game is doing "full path tracing," yeah... that's going to be very complex and costly.

It's the same thing Nvidia did for Minecraft and Quake II, but in a more complex environment and with more ray bounces. Perhaps that's just to make it more demanding, perhaps there's also people who want to see the maximum RT quality possible. I'm also curious as to what can be disabled to tone down the requirements. Because while it might be somewhat interesting to do tests with maxed out settings, I'd also like to see what more modest settings can do.

If RTX 4090 gets 20 fps at 4K max settings and native resolution, it would likely get in the 60-70 fps range at 1080p native. Which means a 3080 would be down to 30-35 fps maybe, and DLSS could bump that up 50% or more. And a 3060 would be in the 20 fps range but could get a bump up to 30+ fps. And if you can turn down the number of ray bounces and such, then maybe that gets the 3060 back to 60 fps. But we shall soon see how it runs, and whether the quality is worth the cost.

And if you already have a 40-series, it's free. If you don't have a 40-series... it's also free. Will some people buy a 40-series just so they can get better Portal RTX performance? Perhaps, but I suspect the number of people who upgrade solely due to this one RTX Remix game will be extremely small. There are people on the fence who might, but those fence sitters were probably going to upgrade eventually regardless of cost. Also note that Portal RTX is more a proof of concept, so we may see a lot more "remix" games getting RT support in the coming year.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Regards.
This DLC makes the game completely path traced. It's not going to run on a Steam Deck as it isn't remotely fast enough. Look at the recommended GPU's. Every level includes the need for some version of DLSS.

portal-with-rtx-nvidia-geforce-recommended-system-specs.jpg

This DLC makes the game completely path traced. It's not going to run on a Steam Deck as it isn't remotely fast enough. Look at the recommended GPU's. Every level includes the need for some version of DLSS.

portal-with-rtx-nvidia-geforce-recommended-system-specs.jpg
It doesn't invalidate the point though: make it available for any hardware capable of running it.

This is clearly a showcase for nVidia and I absolutely get it, but what I'm talking about goes beyond their own internal marketing objectives. Brownie points; they need them.

Regards.

passivecool

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
nvidia paid to make it, and they give it away for free from the love in their hearts and because they shareholders are already satiated?
hmmm.
Methinks not.
This project, too, has its own ROI projection.
It is advertising, folks, and i suspect more effective than the handfuls of usb sticks y'all grabbed from the bowls at gamescom.
From a marketing perspective, I'd call it a pretty good move: it stirs interest in a cost effective, highly segmented way.

Moaning about portability is naive.