Question PortForwarding Ark

Oct 7, 2022
Hello, Hope a new set of eyes can help me figure this out.

I have been trying to host a ARK server and been port forwarding. Ports don't seem to work; where as port forwarding my server RDP port and testing port 80 or even testing a Minecraft 25565 the ports open. But as soon as I touch Ark ports it doesn't work. I temporarily testes with DMZ on and still nothing with port 7777.

I'm using Ark Server Manager
1gb up and 1gb down for network
Virgin Media
Firewall is off
Asus RT-N66U Router

Are you sure the arc server is actually up and functional on that port. Can you access it over the lan.

DMZ should work since it is simpler than port forwarding to setup. You also must have a public IP if other applications work.

This pretty much leaves some issue with the server.

What you can do is run wireshark on the server and see if it receives the probe messages from the testing sites. Wireshark will intercept the data before any firewall rules and will see the traffic even if the server is not functional.

Although unlikely to make any difference what happens if you port forward the external minecraft port 25565 to 7777. Not sure if the game itself will run in this configuration but the port scanner should send the traffic the same.

Oct 7, 2022
Hello bill001g , Server was up as I could see it on steam servers under LAN. I have set it so a Static IP set.

Ill double check WS and try the port config to see if that does anything too :)

{Edit}
Ok so after setting the external to point to internal of 7777 it doesn't work. but if I change it back to 25565 it is open.

What you are looking for is data coming into that port number.

Generally rather than learn how filter work it is easier to just brute force it and look though the capture manually.

To reduce the size of the capture I would close everything but the ark server. Then from a different device request the web site scan the port. You could also go back to dmz mode and request the server scan a range of ports, would be easier to see in a large capture.
I guess you could also try the 25565 port to see what the traffic looks like.

What I suspect you will see is the traffic is coming to the server but the server does not respond. I would either then be a firewall rule in the pc or something misconfigured with the server.

Oct 7, 2022
Hello bill001g, Thanks for your help it really is appreciated; I don't suppose we could do a discord call where I can share screens and you can then shake your head at me and tell me how stupid I am :D Totally understand if you cant :)