[SOLVED] Possibility in connecting Phanteks ARGB strip to DeepCool ARGB hub?

ss4adib

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I bought a DeepCool CF120 PLUS 3in1 Pack that comes with an ARGB "controller/hub" that has 5 slots; I've got my 3 fans in 3 of those slots. All the fans connect to the hub using 3 pin connectors which itself is connected to my motherboards 3-pin (5V-D-N/A-G) ARGB header using the provided adapter.

I'm also waiting on some Phanteks Neon ARGB LED Strips which also have 3 pin ARGB connectors that require an adapter to connect to my motherboards ARGB header.

My question, therefore, is whether I can just connect the Neon strips directly into my Deepcool hub as they are both 3 pin (even though they are different brands) or do I need to split my motherboards ARGB using a splitter and connect these separately; i.e would the Phanteks Neons be compatible with the Deepcool hub.

TIA for any help

Solution
How likely is it that the pin assignments are different? Could I say use a multimixer or the like to check the pin assignments before powering them up? I don't want to risk damaging the strips you see.

Well I've never put it to the test myself, but from my knowledge of LEDs and how they work, they are a diode. Therefore there must be a specific direction of flow through the LED to enable it to light up, as in, if you swapped the supply voltage onto the earth side and vice versa the voltage just wouldn't flow through the LED, its very very unlikely that this would cause any damage to the LED.

Id also like to think that fan/led strip providers use a standardised pin assignment as they are all designed to be plugged into the PC...

Tobaaymalonaay

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
Providing both brands use the same pin assignment on the fans/strips I don't see why this would be a problem, as there is no "software" if you like, in the fan or the strip its self.
So providing the interface (plug) on both components is the same and the wires go to the same parts inside that component, there should be no compatibility issue.
I guess the only definitive way to know would be to find someone else that has done it, or test it yourself, but theoretically, its possible.

ss4adib

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
How likely is it that the pin assignments are different? Could I say use a multimeter or the like to check the pin assignments before powering them up? I don't want to risk damaging the strips you see.

Tobaaymalonaay

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
How likely is it that the pin assignments are different? Could I say use a multimixer or the like to check the pin assignments before powering them up? I don't want to risk damaging the strips you see.

Well I've never put it to the test myself, but from my knowledge of LEDs and how they work, they are a diode. Therefore there must be a specific direction of flow through the LED to enable it to light up, as in, if you swapped the supply voltage onto the earth side and vice versa the voltage just wouldn't flow through the LED, its very very unlikely that this would cause any damage to the LED.

Id also like to think that fan/led strip providers use a standardised pin assignment as they are all designed to be plugged into the PC motherboard which will ALWAYS have a standard pin layout as it has to be compatible with every manufacturer's fans, so this would imply the fans would have to be made in the same way, I'd assume this is the same for LED strips too.

Reactions: ss4adib
Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Phanteks uses on their lighting devices a connector type they chose before the market "agreed" on a "standard" they would all use. So they have provided the right solution in that 2-strip kit. It has two light strips with those connectors, and each includes a male output connector on one end so you can "daisy-chain" the two strips together. Then there are two cords: one is merely an extension cord using their connectors you can use to reach the two strips, OR to run between your two strips if they are located farther apart. The other is an adapter cable with one of their male outputs to go to the strips, and on the other end a "standard" (4-1) 3-pin ARGB connector that WILL fit correctly onto a mobo header.

HOWEVER, from the photos on the Deepcool web page, the output ports on the Deepcool ARGB Hub do NOT look like the (4-1) headers used on mobos. In fact, the cable connectors in those photos look very much like the same ones that Phanteks uses. So you may well find that you do not need the adapter cable supplied by Phanteks; you can just plug the lighting cables from their strips into the Deepcool Hub. Now the "problem" is that the Phanteks set has only one extension cable, so you may have to use the scheme of: ONE Deepcool Hub port > Phanteks extension cable > TWO Phanteks light strips in daisy chain.

Reactions: ss4adib

ss4adib

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys.

As for the neons their 3 pin connector slotted straight into the deepcool hub and they all work perfectly.

I didn't know this at first but Deepcool uses a grey wire to signify their Ground wire whilst on the Phanteks it's the 5V that has a grey colour wire. So before I figured this out I thought I'd have to rewire the pinouts to get it working but it's only whats indicated by the colour that's different and the pin layout is the same for both brands so thankfully l didnt need to do anything.

I have it connected like this: Motherboard ADD Header --> DeepCool Hub --> 3 Fans using individual, separate hub connections + 2 Phanteks Neons Daisy chained into one single hub connection.

So TLDR: Phanteks Neons will work with a Deepcool ARGB hub.