Jun 16, 2019
Hey everyone,

I recently build my first ever Gaming PC.
I went for a Higher mid-range build with the followinf components:
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix x470-F Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 OC
PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power 10
RAM: 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX

So after my first assembly the PC wouldn't post and the DRAM light on my motherboard would light up. Then after some testing I figured out that the first 2 RAM slots (B1, B2) are not working at all. So everytime I use the RAM in any combination including one of the B channel slots, the PC won't post.

Fast foward to today when I unmounted my CPU Cooler again and took a look at the AM4 Socket.
Here is what I've found:

Notice how there are basically no metal Sockets for the pins to go into in the bottom right corner. As far as I can tell, there are about 4 faulty pin sockets on my board.
I just need someone to confirm that my board is 100% broken before I send it back and get a new one.

Thanks for your help in advanced.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
The socket looks fine to me, but I may be missing something that someone else will see.
Please post a picture with the area that concerns you highlighted.

Also what EXACT model RAM kit do you have ???
With that info we can check and see if it is really compatible with this motherboard.

Ands when using a 2 stick RAM kit, they should be in Slots A2 and B2 so they use dual channel mode.

Jun 16, 2019
The socket looks fine to me, but I may be missing something that someone else will see.
Please post a picture with the area that concerns you highlighted.

Also what EXACT model RAM kit do you have ???
With that info we can check and see if it is really compatible with this motherboard.

Ands when using a 2 stick RAM kit, they should be in Slots A2 and B2 so they use dual channel mode.

When you look at the picture you can see that in every hole there is a goldish metal where the oin is suppose to go into. But in the bottom right there are about 4 holes that are just black with no goldish metal in them.

When I first started my PC i used 16GB G.Skill memory and it wouldn't run in dual channel mode. Then after looking at the QVL I saw that the RAM was not on the list so I ordered the exact same Corsair RAM that was on the QVL.
The RAM works when I run it in slots A1 and A2 (single channel) but as I said, every combination that includes me putting a stick into either B1 or B2 results in boot failure.

Reactions: DMAN999
Notice how there are basically no metal Sockets for the pins to go into in the bottom right corner. As far as I can tell, there are about 4 faulty pin sockets on my board.
I just need someone to confirm that my board is 100% broken before I send it back and get a new one.

Thanks for your help in advanced.
I'm not sure why you need confirmation since, if you can't utilize full memory capacity there's obviously a motherboard defect so get an RMA and return board for repair/replacement.

I can see what you mean, though. There are a few sockets missing the bright metallic reflection you can see in the others. Probably where the problem is.

Jun 16, 2019
Then I would RMA the board.
I believe ASUS will even send you a board first since you have an ROG series board.
Then you just have to send yours to them after you receive the replacement.

First heres the picture with the highlighted area of concern:
View: http://imgur.com/jinFFEB

The problem is I ordered it from Amazon. Although the seller was ASUS Germany.
Is there a guide to receiving a replacement board?

Jun 16, 2019
I'm not sure why you need confirmation since, if you can't utilize full memory capacity there's obviously a motherboard defect so get an RMA and return board for repair/replacement.

I can see what you mean, though. There are a few sockets missing the bright metallic reflection you can see in the others. Probably where the problem is.

I don't know, I thought it was very unlikely that ASUS would send a faulty board. But I guess the only option I have now is to send it back.

Thank you very much.

Jun 16, 2019
They may tell you you have to go through Amazon if it has been less than 30 days, but I would still see what they say before assuming anything.
Here are some links to ASUS RMA:
https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/818

Thank you very much for your tip but it seems like that option is only for customers in the USA or in Canada. I think I'll just call ASUS support tomorrow and see what they'll have to say.