Possible CPU Dying.

Majorai

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Hello, I'm looking for some assistance with a boot-up issue I think is down to a CPU failing.

When I attempt to boot my PC, it will load, very slowly, to the Windows splash screen (the swirly balls), and then immediately reboot with no BSOD (this also happens trying to get into safe mode)

It will carry on like this for quite a while, and then eventually boot up, sometimes not showing my icons correctly and not loading programs I have set to start with Windows.

Strangely, if it does boot correctly, everything works as normal.
Ideally I would like to know whether this is actually a CPU issue, before I go spending money on a replacement.

System Specs:

CPU: i7 4790K
MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 GAMING
RAM: 16GB (Corsair)
GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC
OS Drive: Samsung EVO SSD (120GB)

Regards,

Majorai

EDIT: This may have started when I installed .NET framework 4.6.2, however integrity checks reveal the installation is sound.

Solution
Once your pc is booted, you can test with Furmark CPU burner or any intel CPU health tests to find if CPU is faulty
AFAIK, if CPU were the problem it has to give issues forever not only with the booting

Booting will stress Disk and RAM mostly

However there are tons of softwares to test the PC components, you can test and find which is causing issue

your problem statement is generic, that's why there are so many possible reasons
Could be OS crash
Could be Disk partition crash
Could be bad data/power cables of hard drive
If you overclocked your RAM or CPU, reset it back to stock speeds for a while

For more details, once booted you can see the windows event viewer and (command: eventvwr) see if you find any problem with hardware

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Once your pc is booted, you can test with Furmark CPU burner or any intel CPU health tests to find if CPU is faulty
AFAIK, if CPU were the problem it has to give issues forever not only with the booting

Booting will stress Disk and RAM mostly

However there are tons of softwares to test the PC components, you can test and find which is causing issue

your problem statement is generic, that's why there are so many possible reasons
Could be OS crash
Could be Disk partition crash
Could be bad data/power cables of hard drive
If you overclocked your RAM or CPU, reset it back to stock speeds for a while

For more details, once booted you can see the windows event viewer and (command: eventvwr) see if you find any problem with hardware

Solution