Question Possible CPU Upgrade

Dec 29, 2018
Hi

I am looking to buy a new monitor. I am looking at ultrawide 35" and have a £500 budget which will just about get a lower end one. I am not sure if my current CPU will be enough to run 1440p though as it is quite old (specs below)

i5 2500K 0verclocked to 4.8Ghz

8GB RAM

RTX 2070

I recently bought the GPU and am aware that it is probably bottlenecking my CPU, but as i cannot upgrade all at once i have to do it in stages.

After some research, i could upgrade my CPU to i5 9600K with 16GB RAM for about £500.

My question is, should i buy the monitor or CPU upgrade first? I could upgrade the other in a few months.

My current monitor is pretty old and would see a massive improvement, but only if my CPU will do for now.

Thanks in advance

Which motherboard are you intending to get with the i5-9600k and 16GB of RAM? I'm mentioning this just in case you're not aware you will have to upgrade your motherboard as well; a z390 chipset motherboard is an option.

What resolution and refresh rate is your current monitor?

Dec 29, 2018
Thanks for the response. I was looking at a z390 board, altogether with ram and cpu it’s about £500. My current monitor is 1920x1080 1ms 27” monitor.

The old Sandy Bridge CPUs have held up well. Is performance currently an issue?

The thing with a higher resolution display is it shifts gaming workload to the graphics card, and in theory should be lighter on the CPU. So you could change your monitor first before the CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade.

I would think of it this way: if the PC is currently underperforming/struggling with its current usage, then upgrade the PC. If the PC is running the things you want adequately, then upgrade the monitor.

Dec 29, 2018
It seems to run games pretty well, fps isnt really a problem.

I do like the asus XG32VQ, some reviews are saying that ghosting is a problem. I found this one which is ultra widescreen. Would really love an ultrawidescreen, i dont really play many FPS so dont think it would be a problem. Cant find many reviews on it, but looks ok only 1000:1 contrast ratio though. Do you think that would be a problem? Also some suppliers say it has freesync and some dont?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...n-superwide-curved-led-monitor-mo-13n-ac.html

https://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG32VQ/specifications/
Asus themselves state it support Freesync, so I'd assume their information is accurate; it does state a contrast of 3000:1. It does seem like a fairly well reviewed monitor. Some people prefer certain panel types than others, and this one is a VA type. If you've seen the differences between panel types then it will help you to make an informed decision (some people claim the colours look a bit washed out).

I think Nvidia have a list of Freesync monitors compatible with their recent graphics cards (G-sync compatible I think they call it).

Dec 29, 2018
So I decided on the Acer 35” super wide. Whilst the picture.quality seems very good I have noticed quite a bit of motion blur. It is quite bad when moving the camera in games. I am going to return and change for something else. Either the MSI MAG321CQR or ASUS XG32VQ any suggestions? The MSI claims 1ms but not sure if that is accurate and as said before, not sure if either works with FreeSync (I have NVIDIA card). The MSI is newer model and cheaper but could do with some guidance if possible.

Dec 29, 2018
Thanks!
After looking into the MSI, I have decided against it due to the depth of the stand, its huge!
I have found two Acer Predator monitors, both 27" with G-Sync but one is IPS and the other VA, the latter being 1ms response. Anybody had any experience with these? Would an IPS be better option for non-competitive gaming?
Having never used an IPS before, I have read about the IPS "glare", how bad is it?
The two I am looking at are.....

https://www.ebuyer.com/722327-acer-predator-xb271hu-27-wqhd-ips-monitor-um-hx1ee-005

https://www.ebuyer.com/823262-predator-z271u-27-curved-165hz-monitor-um-hz1ee-001

Thanks