Question Possible GPU failure symptoms?

CrabBattle73

Reputable
Oct 5, 2020
Hello all,

Over the last 3-4 days my PC has been locking up. It happened once and I thought nothing of it but it's becoming increasingly more frequent. See specs at the bottom of my post, though I don't think they're particularly relevant.

Basically my system keeps locking up. Screens go black and I lose signal, sometimes my two monitor's redetect a signal automatically, other times I have to turn them back on manually but the signal holds in this case. The issue is that when my monitors pick a signal back up I get some HEAVY artifacting. No BSOD, audio channels seem to stay alive although YT and Twitch audio seems to die out immediately.

The first time it happened it was like a double vision of the web page I was on making text difficult to read but not totally alien looking. The two most recent cases however the screen is largely black with various, randomly colored wild looking visuals.

The system has to be force rebooted and works as nothing was the matter afterwards. Audio is spotty as any twitch streams or youtube videos running stop but I was playing GW2 and the games *music and ambiance* continued (not sure if my connection to the servers held up or not)

The big 3 problem parts I can come up with are:

-Monitors: I dont think this is the issue with the way the system behaves when it happens. Unplugging/replugging my HDMI/Display Port cables do anything while it's happening. It has also impacted BOTH monitors which are of different resolutions (1080 vs 1440), refresh rates, sizes, and brands (yes I'm a psycho for mismatching monitors)

-GPU dying: Probably my biggest suspect. I dont know this for a fact but I'm assuming if your discrete GPU dies the system would likely crap out with it and require a restart. The GPU has seen moderate to high use since I bought it maybe 2 years ago MAX. No mining just typical gaming etc.

-CPU: Maybe this is the problem? I've failed to monitor temps on any hardware because I just cant predict when it's going to happen. Most recently it happened while I was on GW2 which is known to be relatively CPU intensive for what it is but my cooling and higher end CPU shouldn't struggle with it. Additionally, this issue has arisen outside of CPU intensive gaming. It's happened while I'm simply web browsing. This makes me shy away from the idea of overheating causing crashing.

Curious if anyone has a rough idea of which component is likely the culprit. Perhaps one of my m.2 drives or RAM could be sleepers here and causing problems?

SPECS:

OS: Windows 10 (employer pushed windows 11 months ago and I dont like it much)

GPU: Asus RTX 3070 (drivers updated within the last month)

CPU: Ryzen 7900x

CPU Cooling: 3x 120mm Corsair AIO rad

RAM: 2x16gb sticks of G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

STORAGE: 2x 1TB m.2 drives. One is a WD Black SN850 the other I cannot recall the manufacturer but it's nothing giga cheap or crappy from AliExpress or Wish.com

MOBO: ROG STRIX B650E-F

PSU: Cant recall precisely but it's a reputable manufacturer, 80+ Gold, modular. I want to say 850W which I know leaves little headroom but whatever the wattage it's never been insufficient over the past couple of years. Doubt this is the issue.

Hello all,

Over the last 3-4 days my PC has been locking up. It happened once and I thought nothing of it but it's becoming increasingly more frequent. See specs at the bottom of my post, though I don't think they're particularly relevant.

Basically my system keeps locking up. Screens go black and I lose signal, sometimes my two monitor's redetect a signal automatically, other times I have to turn them back on manually but the signal holds in this case. The issue is that when my monitors pick a signal back up I get some HEAVY artifacting. No BSOD, audio channels seem to stay alive although YT and Twitch audio seems to die out immediately.

The first time it happened it was like a double vision of the web page I was on making text difficult to read but not totally alien looking. The two most recent cases however the screen is largely black with various, randomly colored wild looking visuals.

The system has to be force rebooted and works as nothing was the matter afterwards. Audio is spotty as any twitch streams or youtube videos running stop but I was playing GW2 and the games *music and ambiance* continued (not sure if my connection to the servers held up or not)

The big 3 problem parts I can come up with are:

-Monitors: I dont think this is the issue with the way the system behaves when it happens. Unplugging/replugging my HDMI/Display Port cables do anything while it's happening. It has also impacted BOTH monitors which are of different resolutions (1080 vs 1440), refresh rates, sizes, and brands (yes I'm a psycho for mismatching monitors)

-GPU dying: Probably my biggest suspect. I dont know this for a fact but I'm assuming if your discrete GPU dies the system would likely crap out with it and require a restart. The GPU has seen moderate to high use since I bought it maybe 2 years ago MAX. No mining just typical gaming etc.

-CPU: Maybe this is the problem? I've failed to monitor temps on any hardware because I just cant predict when it's going to happen. Most recently it happened while I was on GW2 which is known to be relatively CPU intensive for what it is but my cooling and higher end CPU shouldn't struggle with it. Additionally, this issue has arisen outside of CPU intensive gaming. It's happened while I'm simply web browsing. This makes me shy away from the idea of overheating causing crashing.

Curious if anyone has a rough idea of which component is likely the culprit. Perhaps one of my m.2 drives or RAM could be sleepers here and causing problems?

SPECS:

OS
: Windows 10 (employer pushed windows 11 months ago and I dont like it much)

GPU: Asus RTX 3070 (drivers updated within the last month)

CPU: Ryzen 7900x

CPU Cooling: 3x 120mm Corsair AIO rad

RAM: 2x16gb sticks of G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

STORAGE: 2x 1TB m.2 drives. One is a WD Black SN850 the other I cannot recall the manufacturer but it's nothing giga cheap or crappy from AliExpress or Wish.com

MOBO: ROG STRIX B650E-F

PSU: Cant recall precisely but it's a reputable manufacturer, 80+ Gold, modular. I want to say 850W which I know leaves little headroom but whatever the wattage it's never been insufficient over the past couple of years. Doubt this is the issue.
Check RAM too, (partially)faulty memory can cause same problems-

CrabBattle73

Reputable
Oct 5, 2020
Check RAM too, (partially)faulty memory can cause same problems-
Might be a good call, Im not noticing any issues in thermals with sustained gaming. I have noticed it crashed roughly 4hrs, maybe a bit longer, following a fresh boot. Wonder if the RAMs just loading itself up and then shitting out over those 4hrs. RAM is relatively cheap so would be nice if this is the real issue. May run out to microcenter for some new sticks tomorrow and see what we're working with.

Might be a good call, Im not noticing any issues in thermals with sustained gaming. I have noticed it crashed roughly 4hrs, maybe a bit longer, following a fresh boot. Wonder if the RAMs just loading itself up and then shitting out over those 4hrs. RAM is relatively cheap so would be nice if this is the real issue. May run out to microcenter for some new sticks tomorrow and see what we're working with.

CrabBattle73

Reputable
Oct 5, 2020
I swapped GPUs and put in a new PSU and the problem stopped, so I've got a feeling my old 3070 has bitten the dust -- unlucky

I'm going to give it to my brother since he's on a 2070 currently and see if he has similar issues with it, if not, lucky him :)

I should have isolated the components to determine precisely what was wrong but I needed a bit more wattage for the 4070. Is it even feasible that a PSU could cause such issues? Much rather have a dud PSU than GPU lol.