[SOLVED] Possible hardware issue after I installed 32GB ram

Nov 7, 2020
Hey. A couple of weeks ago I decided to upgrade my RAM since I've had performance issues in games and in general. My motherboard is an MSI Z170A PC Mate and used to run just 2X4GB RAM. I switched it out with 2X16 HyperX Fury Black DDR4 3200 MHz. I think I may have installed it incorrectly the first time since the PC wouldnt boot, but it booted just as it normally would when I tried the next day after switching the positions on the RAM to its optimal postion (slot 2 and 4). The computer worked much better after that and I noticed a significant perfomance boost. However after I updated the computer five days ago, the computer's perfomance instantly deteriorated and I can't really understand why. Anyone have any clues on what's happening to my PC?

Complete specs are:

MSI Z170A PC Mate
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Intel i5-6500 @3.20GHz
32GB HyperX Fury Black DDR4 3200MHz
Windows 10

Last edited:
Solution
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even any related informational events.

Reliability History's timeline format may reveal when the problems started.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What specific update did you make "five days ago"?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

Nov 7, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What specific update did you make "five days ago"?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

I've edited my original post so that it includes full system hardware specs.

I did a function-update on November 1st 2020 and on November 3rd I did an update for the .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7 and a security update for Adobe Flash Player.

Nov 7, 2020
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even any related informational events.

Reliability History's timeline format may reveal when the problems started.

Sorry for late answer again. Exams...

But I just cheched the Reliability History and spotted a decline in reliability (?) after the update I did on Nov. 5th. Apparently a couple of Windows Updates failed to download. Could it be that the update I did at Nov 5th caused this performance deterioration?

Ralston18

Titan
No problem. Exams are important and you have your priorities in order.

November 5th: Yes, it could well be the failed updates.

Type "Update History" (without quotes) in the "Type here to search box". You may be able identify the update that caused the problem,

Start by ensuring that all important data is backed up, proven recoverable, and readable.

Then try the suggested ( @geofelt )restore to get back to "normal".

Later, provided the system remains stable, try the updates again. The original problem may have been corrupted files, some glitch in the update process, or even a bug in the update itself.

May or may have been fixed by Microsoft.

Or you could again just try the updates. One at a time if possible - you may likewise be able to identify the problem update.

Reactions: solacee
Nov 7, 2020
No problem. Exams are important and you have your priorities in order.

November 5th: Yes, it could well be the failed updates.

Type "Update History" (without quotes) in the "Type here to search box". You may be able identify the update that caused the problem,

Start by ensuring that all important data is backed up, proven recoverable, and readable.

Then try the suggested ( @geofelt )restore to get back to "normal".

Later, provided the system remains stable, try the updates again. The original problem may have been corrupted files, some glitch in the update process, or even a bug in the update itself.

May or may have been fixed by Microsoft.

Or you could again just try the updates. One at a time if possible - you may likewise be able to identify the problem update.

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. I see that the updates are installed in the Update History but I suppose there may be some corrupted files or something. And sorry if this is a dumb question but how do I ensure that all important data is backed up?