[SOLVED] Possible metal shavings/dust in psu?

Oct 28, 2019
I was upgrading my fan, and the controller used a SATA power line. So I needed to take out my molex cable from my power supply. I tried to take out my PSU, and it did resisted a bit, but I finally took it out. When I inspected it, I saw that a small bit of my PSU and my Casing paint was scraped, leaving the bare metal of my PSU and Case in view. I did try to clean my PSU housing area on my case, and got as many paint and metal scrappings as possible, but I'm worried whether any metal and paint dust will short out my PSU, should I change the PSU and the case? My PSU is relatively new and I do have a 7 year warranty on it. (Bitfenix Whisper Gold 550W)

Solution
Metal shavings of any kind in a computer are a risk especially in a PSU. However that being said I've looked at the diagram of the internals and there are only a few places small shavings may be a risk. If the shavings are very small say less than 0.5mm i would not be TOO worried as unless you get very unlucky they are unlikely to cause a short. That being said i would not take the risk. The best solution would be to find a reputable computer/ electronics repair shop and have them open it up and do a deep clean. Opening a PSU is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing so just DON'T do it yourself.
Metal shavings of any kind in a computer are a risk especially in a PSU. However that being said I've looked at the diagram of the internals and there are only a few places small shavings may be a risk. If the shavings are very small say less than 0.5mm i would not be TOO worried as unless you get very unlucky they are unlikely to cause a short. That being said i would not take the risk. The best solution would be to find a reputable computer/ electronics repair shop and have them open it up and do a deep clean. Opening a PSU is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing so just DON'T do it yourself.

Solution