Possible Power Supply/Motherboard Problem

Speezo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Hello,

I've been having trouble with my computer, and i believe it has to do with the power supply, but i'll just explain what happened and see what you think.

It has ran fine for about 2.5 yrs, until a week ago when a few times during usage, the input to the monitor and mouse ceased abruptly (monitor stopped recieveing signal so it shut off and the laser mouse's light turned off). The keyboard still had power though, and all the fans were still running fine.

The reset button didn't work, but i could shut it off and turn it back on and it would work fine, so i thought it was no big deal, until a couple days ago when turning the power on would only turn the fans on, but the computer would not boot up, nor would the hard drive make any noise at all. In addition, the actual "power on" light would not be on, but the "active hard drive" light would be on continously.

From what I've read it's most likely a problem with a bad power supply or a motherboard that's finally bit the dust. I'm thinking it's my powersupply (LC-A350ATX) which is evidently a cheaper model.

Before I do anything, is there anything else i should look at?

Thanks!

Some info on my computer:
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.6GHz 800 FSB
Hard Drive: 120GB 7200 RPM ATA 100
MoBo: DDR400-800MHz FSB POWERCOLOR I865PE 800MHz FSB AGP8X Platform MB
RAM: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY
PCI 56K V.90 FAX MODEM W/ VOICE
Video: Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Monitor: ViewSonic E90 19 inch .23MM SVGA

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
That appears to be your power supply since I ran into a similar problem 1 month ago with a generic power supply that came with my barebones I bought 6 months ago... the fans/lights/ anything connected would blink when I hit the power switch, but never come on entirely until I swapped out my spare.

Before I had that problem.. my mobo was beeping (a video card problem beep) before POST for a week until the power supply finally gave out, because I have a Radeon 9700pro which req. an external power from a floppy connector. The system wouldn't POST until I pushed the reset button.

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I agree with speezo but I start smallest possilble probable problem then work up to bigger things 9 times out of 10 it will save you money in the long run