[SOLVED] Possible problem with power supply for when pc demands much power

Apr 1, 2021
Hello,

my computer is functioning weirdly when required a lot of power(e.g. Ureal engine 4). it will suddenly disconnect every output (including mouse, keyboard, headset, screen, speakers, ethernet cable, and on/off button). I waited and waited but never reconnected. The only way to set the pc and go back to normal is by turning off and on the power supply. Sometimes when I turn the power supply back on it will short-circuit the whole house making me very suspicious of the PSU. Overall I think that the fault is purely on the PSU but I wanted someone more experienced to check my specs and approve this and if possible recommend a PSU that can handle my computer in very demanding situations. Everything connected to the PSU is as follows:

MSI X470 GAMING PRO
GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 2070 GAMINV OC 3X 8G
RYZEN 7 2700X
16GB RAM
1TB HDD
500 GB SSD
Gaming LED mouse/keyboard
Headset
Speakers
4 fans which 3 have LED

my PSU is the COOLERMASTER MASTERWATT 750 BRONZE 80PLUS

I am pretty positive that the PSU is at fault but I wanted to make sure before continuing into a purchase. Thank you!

Solution
It can be caused by the motherboard and the GPU too. Have you tried disabling automatic restarts, updated the GPU driver, and test with furmark and prime95? See what happens in after that.

jtk2515

Distinguished
You can swap out the PSU that would be the fastest way to check. If you want to take the time to check it another way this is what I would do.

1. Pull your motherboard out of the case and Psu so you can make sure your not getting a ground to your case.
  2. Use a voltmeter and test your 12 volts rails underload.

Apr 1, 2021
how can I found out how powerful PSU my components require while in high demand? Also are bronze, silver, etc. ratings really important when choosing a PSU?

Apr 1, 2021
Here is an update. I checked what PSU needs my computer on this site: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator . Based on that site my 750W PSU is supposed to be overkill. I also checked the event viewer and around that time of the sudden disconnection, nothing occurred except the critical error when I shut down my computer from the power supply.

Some more info about the situation. This also happens when playing demanding games. I was playing war thunder, a game with demanding graphics yet nothing my system cannot handle. It happed in this game too a lot of times. Sometimes 5 minutes after opening it, sometimes 5 hours later, truly random. After contacting the game devs I found a solution that was opening the game first in 720p windowed and then, in the game, changing it back to 1080p borderless. A funny solution I know but it worked. So I am thinking that it might actually be a software problem?