Question Possible PSU or Mobo Issue? System Shuts off

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Hello all, I seem to have run into a problem with my system and I am unable to pinpoint the root.
My system was working fine up till a week ago. Around a week ago my system "turned off." What I mean why that is that the system turned off but was still lit up. All the fans were spinning fine, all the lights and rgbs were going still. However, discord audio got cut, my game got quit, my screen went blank. I had to power cycle the system to turn it on again. This happens like once daily now. I have been noticing a slew of symptoms that could possibly point to a motherboard or PSU failure. When the system "shuts off" the GPU fans ramp to max speed. My DOCP profile (that worked fine before) doesn't work anymore and my 3200mhz G.Skill Memory is running at a 2133mhz speed. My AIO usb keeps disconnecting meaning the RGBs and software control constantly resets. What I mean by this is that I hear a Windows disconnect sound, my RGBs turn off (for the AIO), then it re-syncs back to icue's profiles. When it does that the fans of the aio ramp up to a maximum of 60000 RPM. No I am not kidding. I have HWINFO open right now and it is reporting a current of 1074rpm and a maximum of 59482rpm. At one point I decided to open my device manager after one of the crashes and noticed my GPU driver had an error. I uninstalled the driver and restarted my system and that fixed it. I am thinking my PSU is over or underdelivering power. I just got it replaced recently though so my second suspicion is my motherboard is faulty. My old power supply lasted me 2 systems and decided it was time for an upgrade, so the current power supply in my system is literally 2 months old. I have tried swapping the ram DIMMs to see if the RAM was faulty, but the DOCP profiles just do not load on any DIMM in any configuration. I'm leaning towards this being a MOBO issue but this also shows signs of a PSU fault. What could it possibly be?
My specs:
Ryzen 7 3800x OC 4.2ghz
Trident G.Skill 3200mhz 4x8GB
Corsair H100i Platinum 120mm
x570 ASUS TUF Gaming Pro
Corsair RM750x
500GB M.2
8TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD

From what you say, I agree it could be the PSU.

First put your PSU under stress and check your Rail voltages using HWinfo64. They should be within +- 5% tolerance. If not to spec then swap the unit out with a known working unit of same or higher Wattage.

Run Memtest86 on your RAM to eliminate the possability of errors. Run 4 passes on each Dimm then in situ.

Do any trouble shooting Led's come on during Post and stay on?
Check with another app to check if HWinfo64 is misreporting sensors.

If above tests proove OK then I would suspect the MB.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
From what you say, I agree it could be the PSU.

First put your PSU under stress and check your Rail voltages using HWinfo64. They should be within +- 5% tolerance. If not to spec then swap the unit out with a known working unit of same or higher Wattage.

Run Memtest86 on your RAM to eliminate the possability of errors. Run 4 passes on each Dimm then in situ.

Do any trouble shooting Led's come on during Post and stay on?
Check with another app to check if HWinfo64 is misreporting sensors.

If above tests proove OK then I would suspect the MB.
I flash updated my BIOS on my Motherboard and I have been experiencing some different stuff. When the system is in its "off but on" state the VGA indicator on the motherboard lights up. I have been also noticing system restarts on its own? I am really leaning on it being a motherboard issue here. I haven't ruled out the PSU but I kind of think perhaps the GPU might be the issue. This stuff usually happens when I am at work or away from my system so I cannot pinpoint the point of failure in a controlled environment