Question Possible to erase data from SSD Drive not connected to my PC?

Sep 18, 2024
Greetings,
My knowledge of PC how-to's is humbly scant. I have an SSD that gave me the blue screen of death and nothing I tried fixed it. I've been using a different hard drive, but still have the SSD lying around. I want to get rid of it but want to make sure any and all data stored on it is deleted. Is there something I can buy that will let me connect the SSD drive through a usb chord or something that I can open it on my PC and delete it there? Like some kind of external drive formatter for internal drives? Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
Greetings,
My knowledge of PC how-to's is humbly scant. I have an SSD that gave me the blue screen of death and nothing I tried fixed it. I've been using a different hard drive, but still have the SSD lying around. I want to get rid of it but want to make sure any and all data stored on it is deleted. Is there something I can buy that will let me connect the SSD drive through a usb chord or something that I can open it on my PC and delete it there? Like some kind of external drive formatter for internal drives? Thank you.
Is this a 2.5" format SSD?
Make/model, please.

But yes, there are external connectors or enclosures.

If, however, the drive is actually toast, those won't work either.

Greetings,
Just smash it.....give it a few good wacks with a hammer.

Reactions: emitfudd

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
My knowledge of PC how-to's is humbly scant. I have an SSD that gave me the blue screen of death and nothing I tried fixed it.
I want to get rid of it but want to make sure any and all data stored on it is deleted.
We have no idea, what you tried and how adequate those actions were for diagnosing/fixing your drive.
It might be dead completely.
It might be completely fine, just with corrupted file system.

I'd try to diagnose it at least before going into physical destruction mode.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Data recovery agencies sometimes unsolder all the memory chips on a corrupted SSD and attempt to read the data off each chip in an EPROM programmer. If you're very lucky, they might be able to reconstitute some of your data, even if the controller chip has died. It's a very expensive process.

If you are determined to trash your SSD's data, make sure to crush every chip on the PCB. Simply denting the metal case on a SATA SSD might not be enough.