Question Possible to fit a fan in this open area on my case?

zoutv

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2001
Hi All. Just built a new pc and man oh man, that i7-13700k CPU gets hot and the more airflow the better. I have an older case that is doing well, but I'd like to see if I can fit a fan on the front of the case above my DVD-RW drive. The open space is 145mm wide x 80mm height. Any possibilities here? There aren't any places to screw it in. But I could literally just glue it in if need be. Not elegant, but effective. If you have a link to something I can check out, I'd appreciate it! And for the love of god, NO RGB stuff. :)

Reactions: artk2219
, that i7-13700k CPU gets hot and the more airflow the better. I have an older case that is doing well, but I'd like to see if I can fit a fan on the front of the case above my DVD-RW drive.
What model pc case is it?
Can you a photo of your pc case?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

What model cpu cooler are you using?
I hope you're not using Intel stock cooler? That can not cool down i7.

artk2219

Distinguished
Hi All. Just built a new pc and man oh man, that i7-13700k CPU gets hot and the more airflow the better. I have an older case that is doing well, but I'd like to see if I can fit a fan on the front of the case above my DVD-RW drive. The open space is 145mm wide x 80mm height. Any possibilities here? There aren't any places to screw it in. But I could literally just glue it in if need be. Not elegant, but effective. If you have a link to something I can check out, I'd appreciate it! And for the love of god, NO RGB stuff. :)
I believe you just described the dimensions for a 5.25" bay, they make many different fan adapters for 5.25" bays. It's up to you to decide which one you would like though, if you have 3 bays open you could put a full 120mm fan in their place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_bay

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=5.25+bay+fan

If you do not know the make/model of your case, post a photo of it.
While a 5.25 front bay may accommodate a fan, there must be some better solutions.
13700K is not an overly hot chip.
What temperatures are we looking at?
What is your cpu cooler?
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Have you selected load optimized settings in the bios?
That may well do an overclock for you.

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Seems like you can put a couple 70mm fans in there. Just make sure you can use the connectors on your existing headers ( pin and voltage). If the opening is high near top of case, just make sure you don’t spoil another fresh air intake or hot air outtake, such as if you have fans on top of the case. You can secure the fans to the bay covers, provided you drill holes into them to let air in.