[SOLVED] Possible upgrade

Jan 29, 2021
Hi, so its been a good 10 years since I had my PC built here and it has served me well. But I think its about time for an upgrade and some stuff I guess is outdated to hell.

What I am currently running
CPU: Intel i5-3570
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
MB: Asus P8Z77-V
RAM: HyperX DDR3 1600 2x4GB
STORAGE: WD Black TB and Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
POWER SUP: CORSAIR 650W
Got 2 iiyama E2473HS LED LCD 24' monitors also.

Now the changes im looking at getting are
CPU: AMD 5600X or 3600
GPU: GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB (which I have already purchased but later in the year looking at the 3060ti or 3070)
MB: MSI TOMAHAWK B450 (i am a little clueless on the motherboard, but this one im seeing and hearing alot about being good at mid-range)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 3200mhz

Also wanting to upgrade at least one monitor, or be it just having one monitor at 1440p. Primarily I use my PC to game and stream things like movies/twitch while playing, the games I play aren't too GPU heavy, mainly Warhammer 2, LoL, BF etc etc. Just want some suggestions really, is the 5600X overkill for what I want? Also will the power supply be efficeint enough for the upgrade to maybe a GTX 3070 later on.

Thanks for reading.

Solution
5600X is as high as i would go for a normal gaming/streaming cpu.Anything above that should be for workstation use,along side gaming/streaming.
I actually have nothing to change here.
Mby the motherboard and the ram,but that isnt so crucial.
I would go for B550 if you need PCIe gen 4 for really fast (and expensive) m.2 ssd's,or a pcie gen 4.0 gpu like the new 3000 series from nvidia or 6000 series from amd.
You will have the same performance in gamimg if you went with b450 tomahawk since pcie4.0 isnt that advanced yet to make a difference in gaming in comparison to pcie 3.0 the B450 tomahawk has.
For the ram i would just go for g.skill ripjaws 3600mhz cl16 2x8gb kit,but that corsair ram is also good.
What is exact make/model of that...
5600X is as high as i would go for a normal gaming/streaming cpu.Anything above that should be for workstation use,along side gaming/streaming.
I actually have nothing to change here.
Mby the motherboard and the ram,but that isnt so crucial.
I would go for B550 if you need PCIe gen 4 for really fast (and expensive) m.2 ssd's,or a pcie gen 4.0 gpu like the new 3000 series from nvidia or 6000 series from amd.
You will have the same performance in gamimg if you went with b450 tomahawk since pcie4.0 isnt that advanced yet to make a difference in gaming in comparison to pcie 3.0 the B450 tomahawk has.
For the ram i would just go for g.skill ripjaws 3600mhz cl16 2x8gb kit,but that corsair ram is also good.
What is exact make/model of that 650W corsair psu?

Solution
Yes,much more future proof
I’d just add to this to hopefully help manage expectations. B550 does have some extra features that have been mentioned. However the 5000 series cpu’s are the last to use the FM4 cpu socket and DDR4 RAM so you are not gaining any better cpu or RAM upgrade path by using a B550.

As yet the pcie 4.0 of the B550 adds nothing for gaming. It’s not going to help current gen gpu’s but who knows about future gpu’s. At the moment pcie 4.0 storage also add no meaningful benefit to games. However NVIDIA is going to add a direct storage feature allowing the gpu to talk directly with the storage drive. Windows isn’t due to support this until later this year from what I read. At the moment we don’t know how beneficial this will be and how quickly games will adopt this technology.

Reactions: Dj0gany
I’d just add to this to hopefully help manage expectations. B550 does have some extra features that have been mentioned. However the 5000 series cpu’s are the last to use the FM4 cpu socket and DDR4 RAM so you are not gaining any better cpu or RAM upgrade path by using a B550.

As yet the pcie 4.0 of the B550 adds nothing for gaming. It’s not going to help current gen gpu’s but who knows about future gpu’s. At the moment pcie 4.0 storage also add no meaningful benefit to games. However NVIDIA is going to add a direct storage feature allowing the gpu to talk directly with the storage drive. Windows isn’t due to support this until later this year from what I read. At the moment we don’t know how beneficial this will be and how quickly games will adopt this technology.
Yeah i agree,the good thing is that b550 in the similar price range as b450
I wonder how beneficial pcie 4.0 is going to be in the future and how much better it will be than the pcie 3.0?

Jan 29, 2021
Well I am in the UK, the B450 and B550 the prices are so close. I might aswell just go for the B550 (just for "future updates").

Its just which CPU now... 3600 or the 5600X. :rolleyes:

Jan 29, 2021
You think the 3600 will do well with age? I mean the max i'd ever need for quite some time would be 5600X from what ive looked into/read. In all honestly im pretty set on the 3600 from what it offers and the games I typically play.

Jan 29, 2021
So CPU and MB is ordered. Another question is about the M.2, is it even worth getting? The MB I've ordered is the B550 Gaming edge and it does have a slot. Surely it won't be making much difference from my Samsung 860 500GB ssd.