Posting old albums online?

SerbianGuy211

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
In my country there was a record house from the 80s and they post all their records on youtube. Recently over some copyright issues their channels were deleted and so they started reuploading. Most are uploaded, but there are a few albums they haven't uploaded and don't plan to (maybe because they weren't so popular). I have them (one of them to be more concrete) and wanna post it but am afraid that I maybe get a lawsuit or so. Should I? I know I'm not the only one looking for it, but I don't wanna get in trouble. I won't monetize it and will give all the rights to them in the description.

SerbianGuy211

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
if you don't own the copyright, then no.
I asked them but I'm not sure if they will respond. I don't wanna claim copyright - I just wanna post it and will give them the right to monetize it if needed, and give them all the credits in the desc. I just want people to be able to hear it since I wanted it too but I found it after a long search and wanna post it online.

It's highly probable that somebody else will upload it after a period of time, and that person will bear the risk of being sued; however, if those "few albums" are all that wonderful, they exist elsewhere on the Internet, and people who are genuinely motivated to look for them will find them.

In the long scheme of things, GOOD music NEVER really goes away.

Un trozo gracioso de sincronicidad: While typing this up, I was motivated to do a repeat search for an album that was released in 1975, and had been lost to me since 1986.

Well, what do you know? I just found the original vinyl album, in new condition, and a CD release of the same album on AMZ. Both will be here on Friday.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
In youtube's "creator studio" video upload section there's a "music policies" section where you can search the copyright/usability of almost any song/artist imaginable unless the artist you're referring to is EXTREMELY obscure and relatively unknown. With most well known bands/songs you're obviously going to see "blocked" (unless it's a cover) or "this song is not available for use in your videos", but you'd be surprised at how many songs have no restrictions. That might change and then your video could get taken down/muted but if you don't try to monetize it there's virtually zero chance for legal repercussion if you upload music that, at the time of upload, has no restrictions, and in the description you put something along the lines of "I do not own this content, etc, etc, etc" and reference the record label & band name.

What sort of monetary damages are they going to sue for if you don't monetize the video or gain anything from it?

Last edited:

SerbianGuy211

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
It's highly probable that somebody else will upload it after a period of time, and that person will bear the risk of being sued; however, if those "few albums" are all that wonderful, they exist elsewhere on the Internet, and people who are genuinely motivated to look for them will find them.

In the long scheme of things, GOOD music NEVER really goes away.

Un trozo gracioso de sincronicidad: While typing this up, I was motivated to do a repeat search for an album that was released in 1975, and had been lost to me since 1986.

Well, what do you know? I just found the original vinyl album, in new condition, and a CD release of the same album on AMZ. Both will be here on Friday.
In youtube's "creator studio" video upload section there's a "music policies" section where you can search the copyright/usability of almost any song/artist imaginable unless the artist you're referring to is EXTREMELY obscure and relatively unknown. With most well known bands/songs you're obviously going to see "blocked" (unless it's a cover) or "this song is not available for use in your videos", but you'd be surprised at how many songs have no restrictions. That might change and then your video could get taken down/muted but if you don't try to monetize it there's virtually zero chance for legal repercussion if you upload music that, at the time of upload, has no restrictions, and in the description you put something along the lines of "I do not own this content, etc, etc, etc" and reference the record label & band name.

What sort of monetary damages are they going to sue for if you don't monetize the video or gain anything from it?
I'm not from the US if it means anything - my name says where I'm from. The house that released those albums had a dispute with another record house - I don't know how to explain it but basically - one music house produced it (recording, song writing etc.) and the other one distributed it (cassettes, vinyls etc.) and it was a dispute to whose channel can share that stuff, and they took it to court. However, the winning side got their account shut down beforehand, so they started reuploading, but they mostly reuploaded albums from singers that they have 5+ albums with, this guy only made 1 album with them and apart from 2-3 songs it wasn't a hit, but it's quality. So they didn't seem to care to reupload it all.

I won't post it, I don't wanna risk stuff over just wanting to help other people and make no gains - but those rules are very dumb and no wonder other platforms like DailyMotion are getting more people going to them recently - YouTube is just autistic with their rules at this point.

Aug 22, 2019
In my country there was a record house from the 80s and they post all their records on youtube. Recently over some copyright issues their channels were deleted and so they started reuploading. Most are uploaded, but there are a few albums they haven't uploaded and don't plan to (maybe because they weren't so popular). I have them (one of them to be more concrete) and wanna post it but am afraid that I maybe get a lawsuit or so. Should I? I know I'm not the only one looking for it, but I don't wanna get in trouble. I won't monetize it and will give all the rights to them in the description.
Bro if you do so you will get into legal trouble.