[SOLVED] Potential ESD Damage to Motherboard

Jul 22, 2020
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I had mistakenly caused any ESD damage to my mobo. I had accidentally "dropped" my motherboard on my bed, (no physical damage) and quickly picked it up and placed it back in its box. I just learned about static damage and was wondering if I had caused any damage. I didn't feel or hear any shock and the climate is very humid here currently, I've heard that can help with ESD prevention. I do not currently have a way to test the motherboard as the other parts are still being shipped. I'm paranoid as it was a pricey motherboard. Any thoughts or opinions?

*Motherboard is an Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero (Z490) - Heard Asus has some ESD prevention but is this only when grounded?

*Bed comforter was cotton material, no silk or wool

Solution
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I had mistakenly caused any ESD damage to my mobo. I had accidentally "dropped" my motherboard on my bed, (no physical damage) and quickly picked it up and placed it back in its box. I just learned about static damage and was wondering if I had caused any damage. I didn't feel or hear any shock and the climate is very humid here currently, I've heard that can help with ESD prevention. I do not currently have a way to test the motherboard as the other parts are still being shipped. I'm paranoid as it was a pricey motherboard. Any thoughts or opinions?

*Motherboard is an Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero (Z490) - Heard Asus has some ESD prevention but is this only when grounded?

*Bed comforter was cotton...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Without you installing CPU, CPU cooler, RAM and then powering up to enter BIOS, there is no way to tell if your MoBo sustained any EDS damage. However, cotton is the most neutral fabric when it comes to the static electricity and i don't think it caused any ESD.

*Bed comforter was cotton material, no silk or wool

It's highly unlikely you damaged it by a short drop onto a bed...you would need a path to ground for either the bed or yourself when you picked it up to cause a static discharge. Motherboards are actually quite robust since they are designed to handle voltages across their entire area. As the others have said you won't know for sure until you build the system but I wouldn't worry about it from what you've said. Do invest in a static wrist strap before building if you haven't done so...it will help protect the more sensitive parts like memory and SSD components.

Solution
Jul 22, 2020
It's highly unlikely you damaged it by a short drop onto a bed...you would need a path to ground for either the bed or yourself when you picked it up to cause a static discharge. Motherboards are actually quite robust since they are designed to handle voltages across their entire area. As the others have said you won't know for sure until you build the system but I wouldn't worry about it from what you've said. Do invest in a static wrist strap before building if you haven't done so...it will help protect the more sensitive parts like memory and SSD components.

Thanks! I appreciate the information and advice. Happy building! :)