[SOLVED] Potential issue with RAM? Hard crash, mix of black screen and inverted colours.

Nov 29, 2021
Hello,

I recently decided to build a new system, my old system was about ~7-8 years old and starting to show its age. I elected to switch to the following components:

i7 4770k -> i7 12700k
GTX 980 -> RTX 3080
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz (DDR3) -> 32 GB G Skill Ripjaw V Series 3600 MHz (DDR4)
MSI motherboard (can't remember the model) -> GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS ELITE AX

The new build still maintains my old power supply and case, but I believe those are irrelevant to the problems I am facing.

When I assembled the build and went to power it on, I noticed that it would begin to cycle. It would turn on and then off, never actually reaching the BIOS. This was of slight concern, but I did some 'debugging' and noticed that when one of the RAM sticks was removed, it successfully made it to the BIOS. I then added that second RAM stick back in and it failed to reach the BIOS. I thought maybe this RAM stick was dead on arrival? However, when I switched the positions of the RAM sticks, still using the motherboards recommended first two slots, the computer made it to the BIOS and recognized all 32 GB. Weird.

That was last Thursday evening. I did a fresh install of windows, installed all the appropriate drivers and then began to install different games and programs to play around with the new system. Since doing so, I have had about 4-5 hard crashes only while playing games. The crashes are interesting to say the least, and I have never seen crashes like this after building a new PC. I have attached an image (https://www.reddit.com/user/RemiTech/comments/r579tr/image_for_toms_hardware_post/) of what the screen above my monitor looks like after said crash, as you can see, the majority of the screen turns black and some of the other colors present invert themselves.

At first I thought that maybe this was due to the temperature my computer was reaching. However, with the help of the Canadian winter I was able to rule out the internal temperature as an issue. The next thing I suspected was my use of the X.M.P profile, which overclocked the RAM from 2600 MHz to 3600 MHz. It is worth being said that the RAM was advertised as 3600 MHz and my motherboard can support frequencies that high. I can also rule out my GPU, as I temporarily had it installed in my old system, and these issues were never present.

I want to experiment a little more and play some games for ~2-5 hours and see if the issue persists when I drop it back down to 2600 MHz, but I thought I would make this post to get some second opinions.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Cheers,

Remington

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The new build still maintains my old power supply and case, but I believe those are irrelevant to the problems I am facing.
Yes they are very relevant. Include the make and model of the PSU and it's age, as well as your storage drives. Include the case's make and model and temps you're seeing for your platform + the ambient room air temps.

As for the OS, what OS are you working with? Source of the OS installer? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? You should manually download all necessary drivers relevant to your platform onto a pen drive, then install the OS without the internet connected(offline account) and once the OS install is complete, manually install all drivers in...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yes they are very relevant. Include the make and model of the PSU and it's age, as well as your storage drives. Include the case's make and model and temps you're seeing for your platform + the ambient room air temps.

As for the OS, what OS are you working with? Source of the OS installer? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? You should manually download all necessary drivers relevant to your platform onto a pen drive, then install the OS without the internet connected(offline account) and once the OS install is complete, manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that helps.

Solution
As above make and model PSU are important. Interesting you say it only happens during games, how did you plug in the 3080? Did you plug each 8 pin connector into a separate cable that connects to the PSU independently or did you use a single cable coming from the PSU that had two 8 pin connectors on it? The latter is generally a big no no for a power hungry card like the 3080.

Dec 23, 2021
have you found a solution for this? i get the same issue only in fortnite public games. over some time, my whole pc gets the inverted colours and reboots. all my overclocks are off and i am still getting issues