Question Potential new ram installation issues

Jul 4, 2024
I recently bought a new 2x16 corsair vengeance RGB pro 3600mhz pair of ram to add to my build. The ram I already had was a 2x8 Corsair vengeance RGB pro 3600mhz, so I thought there would be no compatibility issues. They both have the same voltage, speed and are C18. After the install, my PC wouldn’t turn on first but randomly worked again after a few tries. During the first boot, youtube videos would randomly crash (most likely due to memory errors). Tried doing the memory diagnostic thing on windows, which apparently found errors during the test but upon finishing did not give me the results (it could have just not finished properly). I am using XMP to run all sticks at 3600mhz, which should be fine and shows up as 3600 on task manager. I used CPU Z to see more details regarding the sticks, and it shows that the DRAM manufacturers are different for the pairs (One is micron the other is samsung) but every other detail and specification is the same. Another issue I noticed is that the original 2x8 is showing up as single channel on CPU-Z, whereas they were originally dual channel. I simply added the new pair to the remaining ram slots. My motherboard is an MSI-B550 A PRO. I have also experienced a few random crashes as well. Recently had my pc crash randomly, after which I did a full shutdown and couldn’t get it to boot again. The pc itself would start but with no visuals or BIOS. Disconencted all USB devices and tried again and it worked, but later I found out that XMP was disabled and my ram was running at 2200mhz (After which I reenabled it). I use 2 mice and one of them has a kind of faulty connection and randomly disconnects often, this wasn’t an issue before but now it sometimes disconnects my keyboard as well and might freeze my PC, which leads to crashes. I’m not sure if this a peripheral issue (if they can even result in crashes) or my ram is incompatible. I am not able to return the ram as we don’t have that kind of service where I live, so I’d rather troubleshoot what I have. Here’s my full build (the case is different but shouldnt matter): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YvCFVW

t7Zicmz.png
bQ3Gzqk.png
MV41nSQ.png
ZhyYVik.png
ajFnvOT.png

Jul 4, 2024
I was doing some heavy modding and had the money to spare on a 32gb kit, my friend recommended I get 48gb overall since I can afford it as he has gone over 32gb every now and then with some heavy modding (Skyrim/MC). Any idea on how to solve the single/dual channel issue though? Should I swap the sticks' channels?

Any idea on how to solve the single/dual channel issue though?
there is likely not a "fix" for the issue.
it's just showing you some of the problems that will arise with mix-matched kits.

if your original 2x16GB kit runs as it should when installed in A_2 / B_2 DIMM slots
then keep it at a single kit.

having a portion of your RAM running at single channel speeds it going to limit performance across the board.
and even if it was showing dual channel mode for both kits, you could still be facing some data inconsistencies between the mix-matched kits that could be limiting possible performance below 100%.

if you really think >32GB is necessary;
return the new kit,
sell the old kit,
and buy a new 64GB(2x 32GB) kit.