Power Line and Switch Mode Power Supply

theSixtyEight

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Hello,
I was trying to set up home network using Power Line adapters (Homeplugs) and I found out the signal gets lost when I use some switch mode power supplies. For instance when I connect my PC or my router adapter to outlet, the signal drops down.
I found on internet, PMPS generates noise and the noise is being trasmitted to electrical circuits and so the noise basically interferes the powerline signal.
I own D-Link GO-PLK-200 and I am not sure if upgrade to some 500mbps powerline set would help it, or maybe if my dlink is just too sensitive about quality signal.
Do anyone have some similar experience? Is there some way how to resolve this problem?
Thanks and sorry for my english

theSixtyEight

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
my PC PSU is Corsair CX600. Funny thing is, my old stock (crappy) PSU from my old PC doesnt do this. but anyway also my router adapter do this....
I was thinking about getting some standalone filter to filter out all the noise from all my devices but I didnt find any on internet. UPS might be a solution since it contains also some filters, question is if they are any good to filter out all the high freq noise. Or maybe if different set of homeplugs would work better?

theSixtyEight

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
CAT6 isnt an option, wireless is having big problems, since I am taking signal from other building (yes signal is very good even to such a distance, just drops to 0 when I conenct my PC)

If you are talking that kind of distance between buildings, then I'm afraid powerline adapters won't work well especially with electrical noise.

Your only practical option to get a good connection strength is to use Wifi with repeaters or laying your own CAT6.

You are lucky you can even find the offending device. Many times it takes forever to find it. I had a ceiling fan in my rental house that killed powerline only when it was running at medium speed.

Some cheap things to try first. Plug you PC into a 10ft extension cord these tend to reduce the interference. Next step up is a surge protection strip. The manufacture of powerline always say to not plug powerline into surge protectors because they block the signal so it should do a good job of block the noise too you hope. You could also try different outlet combination in the room and see if you get lucky.

If you go the UPS router you need one that is called a online ups. These are much more expensive. They take the electrical power convert it to dc and then convert it back to ac. The main electrical power is never connected to the protected side of the UPS. It takes much higher quality rectifiers and inverters since they are running all the time. Cheaper UPS monitor the power and when it determine there is some issue it will switch to the internal inverter and run on battery. Although the power is many times filter you are still running on the main power directly.