News Power Outage Prompts TSMC to Halt Production of Mature Process Nodes

InvalidError

Titan
Enthusiasts do need to worry about mature nodes: that's what a lot of support components like platform micro-controllers are still being made on. You can't make a GPU or motherboard without system monitoring, fan control, PWM controllers, audio, LAN and a bunch of other chips that don't require bleeding-edge process. Same goes for keyboards, mice, USB hubs, monitors and countless other peripherals.

plateLunch

Reputable
Mar 31, 2017
Yeah. Hey. No blowing us off. My new gaming PC build for this year and my paycheck is dependent on my shipping product using a 2010 era microcontroller.

usiname

Prominent
Feb 27, 2020
Enthusiasts do need to worry about mature nodes: that's what a lot of support components like platform micro-controllers are still being made on. You can't make a GPU or motherboard without system monitoring, fan control, PWM controllers, audio, LAN and a bunch of other chips that don't require bleeding-edge process. Same goes for keyboards, mice, USB hubs, monitors and countless other peripherals.
I don't see motherboards shortage so we are fine

usiname

Prominent
Feb 27, 2020
You can only be greedy when the supply is at least somewhat constrained, otherwise you end up with unsold stock as a liability.
There are everywhere mobos in range 70-1000USD, everything in stock, where is your shortage? If there were any shortage or problem with manifacturing, you wouldnt see $70 mobos, stupid wi fi and other useless stuffs are not worth $300, this is only greed.

InvalidError

Titan
There are everywhere mobos in range 70-1000USD, everything in stock, where is your shortage?
AMD hasn't launched a new chipset in nearly a year. Most people who wanted an A520/B550/X570 motherboard already got one, so availability and pricing of old stock has more to do with not letting inventory rot in warehouses than current chip shortages.

Intel's 500-series boards would be more representative of the current state of things and right now, I cannot get any of those locally.

ASK THE COMMUNITY