[SOLVED] Power Pins won't work on Motherboard

Jan 28, 2020
Recently I purchased an a MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON Motherboard ATX.

I set up my new built computer by following the necessary steps and when I went to turn the PC on it didn't boot. I made sure to double check everything, checked the front panel connectors and so forth.

I ended up taking the motherboard out of the computer case and testing it via the screwdriver method, where you touch a magnetic screwdriver onto the power pins (shorting it). This didn't work and it failed to boot. Additionally I checked the PSU via the paperclip test and that was fine.

I then inserted the paper clip into back of the 24 pin ATX power connector whilst it was inserted into the ATX socket on the motherboard and it booted! However it needed the paperclip in the back, once removed the motherboard wouldn't start up.

I RMA'd it and got sent a new motherboard (same type). However the same issue OCCURRED!

I'm running out of ideas what the issue could be, I can't think that Amazon would send me two motherboards that are faulty, so does the issue maybe lie in that the 24 pin ATX power cable is faulty and is failing to transfer power to my motherboard?

I'm running out of ideas, but if anyone has any suggestions or feedback I'd very much appreciate it, thank you.

Solution
I'm running out of ideas what the issue could be, I can't think that Amazon would send me two motherboards that are faulty, so does the issue maybe lie in that the 24 pin ATX power cable is faulty and is failing to transfer power to my motherboard?

I'm running out of ideas, but if anyone has any suggestions or feedback I'd very much appreciate it, thank you.

Sounds to me like it could be the 24 pin ATX power cable. You can buy a new one on Amazon. Make sure it's long enough to reach from your PSU to your motherboard's 24-pin header.

Is the PSU new? If so, try contacting Corsair - they may send you a new cable for free.

Sounds to me like it could be the 24 pin ATX power cable. You can buy a new one on Amazon. Make sure it's long enough to reach from your PSU to your motherboard's 24-pin header.

Is the PSU new? If so, try contacting Corsair - they may send you a new cable for free.

Solution
Jan 28, 2020

Yeah it’s a new one, I’ve just ordered a new 24 pin atx power cable to see if it will solve anything, will update if anything happens

Thank you for the help though guys, much appreciated 🙂

TRENDING THREADS