Power Profiles May Help Lower Power Consumption of Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am working on a research paper for the scientific measurement of the lameness of an application. If it is totally lame that will help someone's decision to buy the app.

This is likely the most unintelligent result of the piss poor education that I've seen in recent months. Really power profiles lol wow haven't this already been thought of before. I guess they are now only discovering what Intel, AMD, Texas Instruments, and other companies have been working on for years. As for the power consumption is dependent on load imposed by the app not "profiles" >.<

Reducing clocks in real time on a modular architecture can reduce power consumption rather nicely.

G

How about a device that tells me how lame my comment is going to be before I make it?

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
So..... Her method defines the needs of processing power as a preset per application, requiring a substantial amount of work to configure, whilst the big companies (intel, AMD, TI, Qualcomm etc.) use advanced algorithms to accomplish the same task on the fly, fully automated.

What is the point of her method? Cure boredom?

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Simplify a brilliant piece of research to the point of making it sound absurd much?
Congratulations this is why you're a journalist, the people who most reliably let ignorance and/or incompetence ruin a good story.

To everybody who says this sounds like pointless research, it would be if it was anything like what was described in the article.

[citation][nom]thanksandbye[/nom]How about a device that tells me how lame my comment is going to be before I make it?[/citation]

That would be quite something... However, not worth buying unless it's dirt cheap.

Really if power consumption is the problem we want to discuss then how about shrinking the space between the transistors? Wait, what do you mean we know about that already? No way we did since we didn't know about this awesome new concept of "power profiles" to reduce power usage even more... What will they come up with next!?!?

While we're on the topic of power usage why don't we talk about increasing power usage? That's more fun anyway. Lets see, we can increase clock rate, increase voltage, ignore the years (maybe decades? I'm not sure here) of power profile research and ACTIVE USE, increase cache to server levels even though little to nothing we do uses huge caches well, ask AMD to make it, get worse cooling, the list of fun goes on.

Since these people shouldn't be stupid I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they did something different from the current power profile technologies, maybe they implemented it much more completely than contemporary designs.

Maybe she managed to figure it out at the chip level?? Hard coding it in the Processors would be a great option.... especially since everyone is not aware on how to setup a power saving profile for their unique rigs.... So it does make sense to have it implemented at the chip level and help save a lot of power, which is lost by sheer lack of awareness.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
really....common sense would tell you that hardware profiles would either save or consume more battery life...and to think they have a degree for this

Status
Not open for further replies.