Power supply cord under the motherboard

Ti133700N

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I bought a Coolermaster CM 690 case and a PC Power & Cooling Silencer PSU. But since the power supply is installed at the bottom of the case and the 12v connector is located at the top of the motherboard, the cord gets in the way of the other components (video card). I tried to pass the cord in the back of the case but the cord is too short. So in a last resort, I put the cord right under the motherboard (between the case and the motherboard), and it plugged in perfectly.

So my question is: Is it a good idea to make the 12v PSU cord go between the case and the motherboard or is it going to create a short and damage the motherboard ? (I haven't turned the power on yet...)

Thank you !

RomDA_73

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Here's what may cause a short:

-Exposed part of the PSU cord is touching the metal of the case
-The cord is stretched to its limit (you were barely able to plug it into the mobo)
-The cord is overly bunched up, going around a corner too tightly, etc.

You can get 8 inch long extension cables for a few dollars from many online vendors. That will solve the problem of short psu power cables and allow you to route the cable between the motherboard tray and the side panel instead of routing under the motherboard.

+1

Ti133700N

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Thank you very much guys, it makes alot of sence. I've powered on the system and everything is working fine. Although, next time I might buy an extension and route the cable between the motherboard tray and the side panel just to be sure.