[SOLVED] Power Supply Issue?

Mar 9, 2023
Hey all, i'm needing some help with a new pc build meant to go into my car.

Specs
Cpu
: Intel Core I5 11400
MB: ASROCK H570M-ITX/AC
Storage: SAMSUNG 980pro SSD 2TB
RAM: Crucial RAM (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (CT2K8G4DFRA32A)
PSU: M2-ATX (https://www.mini-box.com/M2-ATX-160w-Intelligent-Automotive-DC-DC-Power-Supply)
Case: Blackbox Mobile Mini ITX Enclosure (https://www.mini-box.com/CarPC-enclosure)

The issue I'm having is that the pc is getting stuck in an infinite boot loop. As soon as it gets past the AsRock boot screen it powers off and tries to boot again.

My troubleshooting led me to believe the psu itself was the culprit, so I emailed the manufacturer and followed their troubleshooting steps; long story short, I sent the unit back for a warranty replacement. The replacement showed up and was installed, just to have the same exact problem.
Oddly enough, if i unplug the dc dc psu (M2-ATX) and plug in my spare desktop computers Ac Dc ATX psu, Everything works fine and 100% as expected.

Using the M2-ATX, i can successfully boot into the bios with no issues. CPU temps are fine; its not / shouldn't be thermal throttling. I can also boot into windows safe mode with networking just fine with no issues on both windows 10 and Win11. I've tried disabling Microsoft services to troubleshoot a software issue but still cant get it to boot regularly. I've also tried running Pop! OS (Linux) to see if it were an issue with windows itself, but that doesn't work either.

I'm at my wits end with this thing as I don't understand why itll boot into bios / safemode but not regularly unless powered by my spare pcs psu.

Any Advice is appreciated, Thanks

Solution
Most likely goes out of spec at some point. You're already using almost all of its +12V power supply (it uses extremely out of date tech so it's under 100W available). I honestly doubt that this PSU has any business powering anything modern, even without a GPU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Most likely goes out of spec at some point. You're already using almost all of its +12V power supply (it uses extremely out of date tech so it's under 100W available). I honestly doubt that this PSU has any business powering anything modern, even without a GPU.

Solution
Mar 9, 2023
Thanks for commenting.
Thats the only thing that reasonably makes sense to me at this point.
Any leads on a psu that will work for my setup?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Anything that would directly work with that enclosure would be beyond my knowledge, unfortunately; I don't have access to the enclosure and it only lists its own company's products as compatible . Frankly, I think you would have been far better off getting the smallest ITX case that would fit an SFX or a Pico PSU.

Honestly, it may just be that you got greedy with your specs for a car PC. The 35W T 11th-gen CPUs were a better choice for a car build.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023
The company offered a prebuilt with a 10th gen i5 and pcpartpicker showed they should be pretty much the same in terms of power draw, that was the thought process behind that. Im not too attached to the case, so ill look around for a replacement with another power source. Thanks for the input