dmarook

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of gradually upgrading my PC. My current specs are as follows:

Intel E4500 @ 2.8GHz with AC Freezer Pro 7 cooler
ASRock 4 CoreDual-SATA2
533MHz DDR2 2GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP
3 SATA and 1 IDE HDDs
Creative Audigi 2 Value PCI
One PCI SATA Controller card
One PCI Firewire card
Plextor DVDRW Drive
USB Card reader
One Powered USB HUB
Logitech PS2 Keyboard and USB Mouse
A 2GB USB 2.0 Flashdrive (Stays plugged in mostly)
Occasional USB connection to Mobiles, PDAs, USB Scanner etc.
Thermaltake Lanfire Xaser III VM2000A Case With Fan-Controller and four 90mm Fans
Antec True Blue 480W Power Supply

My plan was to gradually upgrade my graphics card (to ATI HD2900/2950 Pro or a Nvidia 8800GTS), then a better motherboard from ASUS or ABIT and finally my eyes were set on the Antec P182 Case.

But my current rig has been doing a few odd staff even at stock CPU speed. After a bit of research, I've figured out that I have been overlooking a vital component of my setup and that is my power supply. The PSU calculator at Antec's website tells me that with my current set-up should need 500+ Watts. and with my planned upgrades, I probably will need a minimum of 700 watts, specially if I go for an ATI card. But reading around various forums, I wonder if I really need that much power. Also When I get the new graphics card, I will definitly need a new PSU as my current one has no PCIe connectors.

Keeping my planned upgrades in mind, may I request some suggestions for a good ATX PSU which is quite and is going to keep me going for at least 3 to 4 years? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

- dmarook

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Grab something Seasonic and eat the cost. Computer component upgrade cycles are way too far apart now to use a piece of junk power supply.

Power supplies, sadly, are the only component you can't save a buck on without risking your whole rig or having TONS of quirky unsolvable issues. It powers all the other components, and has the power to destroy them too.

Seasonic, or if you plan to keep it across systems, Zippy. You'll REALLY pay for Zippy though.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Hogwash to what ANTEC says about power requirements.
This is a snippet from JonnyGuru's review fo the Corsair 450w unit and you will see about other Corair 450s. Basically it can power any sigle GPU system, including an 8800GTX.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=125&page_num=3

Keeping in mind that this power supply is only a 450W and only has one PCI-e connector, I will say that this unit, rated at continuous, can certainly power any single GPU rig. The efficiency is good, the regulation good, the noise non-existent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
In short, you are likely not close to pushing your PSU.
Since the ANTEC is likely not as good as the Corsair, I would not try an 8800GTX or ULTRA on this PSU, but you are not overloaded now.

Next, lets look at GPU Upgrades.
What I would recommend is looking at the 8800GT when it is released next month. It will use less power than the 8800GTS and be faster and cheaper. It should work quite nicely w/your existing PSU.

If you go ATI 2900XT, you will NOT need a 700w PSU.
That is just ANTEC trying to upsell you.
Something like the Corsair 520w (Very High Quality) or the Corsair 550w (Only High Quality not Very High Quality) will more than suit your needs so long as you don't go SLI. It will also save you boats of money.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Enermax's Infiniti 720W PSU has some pretty nice features on it. Its got Power Guard & Cool Guard and the new 6+2Pin PCI-E 2.0 connector that the 2900 series uses. Cool Guard run your system fans for two minutes after shutdown or till the temp reaches a certain point.

Power Guard protects your components from damging voltage spikes and has a four mode alarm that lets you know which mode its in through a series of beeps. I own one and love its safety features with its modular design, and its can do SLI with no problem.

http://www.enermax.com.tw/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=73

Malazan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
I'd go with the Corsair 520W, it's easily capable of powering your system, is very well made and has a 5 year guarantee.

If you think that SLI may be of interest to you down the line, buy the Corsair 620W instead. The 620W also comes with the 6+2 pin connectors.

The 5 year guarantee suits your needs for a PSU that will last perfectly.

Have you an idea how much you want to spend?

dmarook

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007

The ASRock 4 CoreDual-SATA2 has both AGP and PCI-E on the same board, so I don't necessary need a MoBo upgrade just yet. :)

dmarook

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Corsair seems to be in discussion a lot now a days. I'll look in to their product line. As for budget, I am looking at the PSU as more of an 5 year investment. I've had my current PSU for more than 5 years now and it has so far served me very well indeed. So, I really don't want to skimp on this but neither do I want to go overboard.

TRENDING THREADS