[SOLVED] Powering an internal optical drive

Mar 1, 2021
Does anyone have a good way of directly powering an 5" internal SATA DVD drive from a power supply that only has 6-pin and 8-pin power cables available?

Solution
Well, I finally figured out the answer to my own question. There are no "normal" power leads coming from the power supply that can be used to connect the DVD drive. However, the motherboard has two SATA power connector "blocks" where special cables can be connected that will provide power to a DVD Drive or I suppose to a hard drive or a 2nd SSD. I am not sure if this is the wave of the future for all computer manufacturers or if this just appears on this Acer Veriton model. Anyway, when I looked more carefully there were 2 cables provided in the box with the mouse for this very purpose. Each cable has 2 female SATA power connectors so that a total of 4 SATA devices can be added. I have never posted here before but if it were...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any SATA drive normally would be powered from the PSU via a standard SATA power output connector. IF you have one or more of those BUT they are all in use, then that splitter linked above is a good option. BUT if you have NO SATA outputs from the PSU (would be a pretty old PSU), then get an adapter that converts from a 4-pin Molex female to a SATA power output. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/SDTC-Tech-Sp...=Molex+to+SATA+adapter&qid=1614703071&sr=8-17

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021
Well, I finally figured out the answer to my own question. There are no "normal" power leads coming from the power supply that can be used to connect the DVD drive. However, the motherboard has two SATA power connector "blocks" where special cables can be connected that will provide power to a DVD Drive or I suppose to a hard drive or a 2nd SSD. I am not sure if this is the wave of the future for all computer manufacturers or if this just appears on this Acer Veriton model. Anyway, when I looked more carefully there were 2 cables provided in the box with the mouse for this very purpose. Each cable has 2 female SATA power connectors so that a total of 4 SATA devices can be added. I have never posted here before but if it were possible I could provide pictures that show this.

Last edited:
Solution
Well, I finally figured out the answer to my own question. There are no "normal" power leads coming from the power supply that can be used to connect the DVD drive. However, the motherboard has two SATA power connector "blocks" where special cables can be connected that will provide power to a DVD Drive or I suppose to a hard drive or a 2nd SSD. I am not sure if this is the wave of the future for all computer manufacturers or if this just appears on this Acer Veriton model. Anyway, when I looked more carefully there were 2 cables provided in the box with the mouse for this very purpose. Each cable has 2 female SATA power connectors so that a total of 4 SATA devices can be added. I have never posted here before but if it were possible I could provide pictures that show this.
That's more of a wave of the past, mostly on prebuilt and brand name PCs.

Latest posts