Question Powerline adapter causing router to reset regularly

mricon

Commendable
Feb 18, 2017
I've been having regular disconnects to the internet so I called my ISP. They did a line test and router test and said both were fine.

My router is downstairs and I have my gaming room upstairs connected via powerline along with a few other things.

The ISP said that the disconnects were likely caused by my powerline adapters (TP-LINK 500Mbps) making the router reset itself.

Is that possible? If so, what can I do?

Thank you.

Does the route have any kinda of log so you can tell if it id rebooting or resetting. Do they mean just the internet is resetting but not the router itself ?

The router can not tell what is plugged into the ethernet port. Powerline units appears in the simplest configuration as a ethernet cable. They can also function with mulitple remote powerline units so would appear similar to a switch.

In any case I can't think of anything you could plug in that could crash the router. Now you could for example plug 2 lan ports on the router into the same switch and that will many times lock or crash the router.

Powerline units are pretty stupid devices they take whatever goes in one end comes out the other.

mricon

Commendable
Feb 18, 2017
Does the route have any kinda of log so you can tell if it id rebooting or resetting. Do they mean just the internet is resetting but not the router itself ?

The router can not tell what is plugged into the ethernet port. Powerline units appears in the simplest configuration as a ethernet cable. They can also function with mulitple remote powerline units so would appear similar to a switch.

In any case I can't think of anything you could plug in that could crash the router. Now you could for example plug 2 lan ports on the router into the same switch and that will many times lock or crash the router.

Powerline units are pretty stupid devices they take whatever goes in one end comes out the other.

Thank you. I don't know how to check the log, sorry. However, it is rebooting the router. When you look at it physically, it goes through the same routine as if I had switched it off and on again. Odd really.