[SOLVED] Powerline adapter working for ethernet but not Wifi

May 3, 2020
Hi,

I’m a complete novice so my apologies if I miss key information.

I recently purchased a TP- Link Av600 powerline wifi kit (TL-WPA4220)

My internet speed is around 30Mbps coming into the house.

Plugging a device into the powerline extender via Ethernet works perfectly, giving me around 30Mbps consistently.

But the WiFi being emitted from the extender is only hitting around 7-13 Mbps.

Any ideas why this could be?

Is it to do with the hardware not being great at emitting WiFi? Faulty hardware? Something I’ve done wrong?

Would plugging an access point (eg: TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013HCO332/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q8RREbSG2FZPQ ) help me/perform better as a WiFi emitter?

Thanks!

Solution
I'm not an expert, so take this for what it is worth. Based on your description, it may be that your low wifi speed is because your laptop (or other device) is connecting to your main router via wifi rather than your TP Link Powerline Wifi kit. This could be due to your TP Link kit wifi not being set up properly. Read your TP Link manual thoroughly and follow the wifi setup instructions to the letter.

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
I'm not an expert, so take this for what it is worth. Based on your description, it may be that your low wifi speed is because your laptop (or other device) is connecting to your main router via wifi rather than your TP Link Powerline Wifi kit. This could be due to your TP Link kit wifi not being set up properly. Read your TP Link manual thoroughly and follow the wifi setup instructions to the letter.

Reactions: Tc1993
Solution
May 3, 2020
Thanks for the reply! You’ve just pointed out a crucial bit of info that I missed out!

When I turn the extender off, WiFi speeds on the same device increase back up to 25 Mbps.

So to me at least that suggests that it is connecting to the extender properly?

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Thanks for the reply! You’ve just pointed out a crucial bit of info that I missed out!

When I turn the extender off, WiFi speeds on the same device increase back up to 25 Mbps.

So to me at least that suggests that it is connecting to the extender properly?
Hmmmm. Don't know how you reach that conclusion. To me it indicates that there is some kind of conflict in the wifi between the main router and the TP Link extender. I think your best bet is to study the wifi setup in the TP Link manual in detail.