Powerline Compatibily Third Adapter

Poccio

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Hi guys,

a few years ago, I decided to set up a powerline network in my house. That was because my brother ps3 was too far away from the router to play online on wi-fi.

A few days ago, Sky came out with a very good deal which included mySky. However, to fully exploit mySky and access the OnDemand, I need an internet connection. Unfortunately, mySky decoder is both too far away from router to use wifi and the powerline. So I am thinking of buying a new powerline adapter.

I currently have digicom PL200W3-A01 (http://www.digicom.it/digisit/prodotti.nsf/itprodottiidx/8E4516_PL200W3A01) and it has always worked perfectly since i bought it. But now I need to buy a new additional adapter. On amazon, i have seen this one (http://www.amazon.it/TL-WPA4220-Powerline-Wireless-Ethernet-compatto/dp/B00DUCXEA8/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t). What do you think? I don't know much of powerline...both of them use the HomePlug Av Standard. Does this mean the tp-link compatible with my current digicom?

Thank you in advance

Solution
Yes and no. It will likely work but the ones you currently have are only using the 200m standard. The newer one is using the 500m standard. It should be compatible with the older standard but it will slow down to the 200m speed.

As I suspect you have already found out you get nowhere near 200m. When you add a third device the bandwidth is now split between the 3 devices so you should expect all the devices to run slower. It may not matter if you have a slow internet connection they may still be faster.
Yes and no. It will likely work but the ones you currently have are only using the 200m standard. The newer one is using the 500m standard. It should be compatible with the older standard but it will slow down to the 200m speed.

As I suspect you have already found out you get nowhere near 200m. When you add a third device the bandwidth is now split between the 3 devices so you should expect all the devices to run slower. It may not matter if you have a slow internet connection they may still be faster.

Solution

Poccio

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
So actually my old device would be the bottleneck of my network, wouldn't it?
What do you suggest? Should I buy that tp-link all the same and try it and, if my networks happens to be too slow, upgrade everything buying something like this (http://www.amazon.it/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-compatibile-trasmissione-adattatori/dp/B00C2ICYPC/ref=pd_bxgy_147_text_z)?

You basically have 3 speeds. the 200m, the 500m, and the newest that either say 600m or 1g.

You need all the units to support the same speed or they will slow down to the lowest one they call can do.

On top of this running 3 or more units cuts the speed. They must now divide up the speed and they are not real smart. When you have 3 units normally you have say unit A by the router and units B and unit C that you want to connect. So you get a connection between A-B and A-C as you would expect but they also create a connection C-B that you are not really going to use. This means each connection gets about 1/3 what a simple 2 unit connection would get.