Question Powerline questions

stefs1

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
I have tp link av 500+
And my problems is:
  1. Stuttering, lost connections on a couple of seconds
  2. Max speed is 50mbps, my provider gives me 80mbps, this is not big problem its ok for me, but stuttering is annoying.
Advices? Should i buy another? Is any better solution than this?

kanewolf

Titan
I have tp link av 500+
And my problems is:
  1. Stuttering, lost connections on a couple of seconds
  2. Max speed is 50mbps, my provider gives me 80mbps, this is not big problem its ok for me, but stuttering is annoying.
Advices? Should i buy another? Is any better solution than this?
TP-Link makes a lot of devices, so your description is a little ambiguous. Can you post a model number? Are you using this as a wired extender or WIFI source ?

Mostly its a bigger number. Not sure why they started doing this but I suspect it is related to a different type of powerline adapters on the market. The vast majority of powerline adapters on the market are based on the homeplug standard. The newest ones are based on av2-600 and av2-1200. They called them that when they first came out. There is another competeting powerline device that use a completely different protocol called G,hn (I think). These rate the speeds at 1000 and 2000 even though they are not actually that much faster than homeplug units.

I suspect because stupid consumer always buys the biggest number they homeplug guys changed the name of their devices. Maybe they should just rename them 5000 with no technical change and see how many idiots upgrade their devices.

It is really sad how stupid some people are.

Reactions: SamirD
I think the devices were recommended because you asked about a similar FRITZ brand device.

This is not a brand I have ever seen, it may or may not have good customer support where you live. TPLINK will likely perform the same. Like many things the actual chips that do the work are not made by any of these companies. I forget who make powerline chips but it is likely some well known chip company like broadcom. The other companies just buy them and have them assembled into the end units likely by another separate company. Almost nobody make their own stuff anymore.

If you do not need the wifi it will likely be cheaper to buy units without the feature.

Games use almost no bandwidth most are well under 1mbps. What they do require is very stable latency. Wifi is the worst choice for online games. Because of how it it designed it will cause very random latency spikes because of signal interference.

Your problem may not be inside your house. Powerline tends to have extremely stable latency and throughput.

Maybe test with your pc directly connected to the router via a ethernet cable.