I just got a Dell 8300 and the version of PowerDVD on it doesn't do screen
captures. I'd like an upgrade for the program Dell that doesn't cost me the
full price. First, why did Dell sell me a munged version and how do I
upgrade it?

Corse

Dell didn't sell you anything munged. It expressly states on the Dell site,
when configuring system optical drives:

"All DVD Drives include Cyberlink PowerDVD LE. All CD-RW drives shown below
include Sonic RecordNow. All DVD+RW drive shown below include Sonic
RecordNow and MyDVD LE."

Note that LE almost always univerally equates to "Light Edition."

To move up to a full version of PowerDVD check out the manufacturers site:

http://www.gocyberlink.com

Otherwise there are plently of other DVD player/capture software vendors
from which to choose.