[SOLVED] Pre-built question regarding CPU clockspeed

Dec 7, 2021
Hi all, I was looking at this prebuilt on Amazon: ROG Strix GA15DK Gaming Desktop PC, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, GeForce RTX 3070, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Wi-Fi 5, Windows 10 Home, GA15DK-AS776 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZRTRLR...abc_9MY5DNCKVX0D80K7M23V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The 3070 is the main draw for me but I have a question regarding the 5800x it comes with. In the item description it says its clock speed is 2.5ghz, though I know AMD’s website states its base clock speed to be 3.8ghz. What’s up with that? Did they underclock it on purpose for some reason? Is there any reason I wouldn’t be able to clock it back up to its base speed?
Posting for help here because the sellers of this PC are slow to respond to my questions, so far all they’ve confirmed in a response is “The CPU speed of this product in our shop is 2.50GHz” and I’ve never purchased a prebuilt before, so I wanna make sure I’d be able to get this thing up to speed if I were to buy this one or something similar. Thank you in advance for any insight!

Solution
I disagree, using your own argument.

Look...a 5800X is what it is. Nothing Asus can do will change that..so saying it's a '2.5Ghz' processor is either a lie or a misprint in that section since it says it is elsewhere. Whether or not the board is junk has nothing to do with that either.

The system might very well be junk, but I've no doubt the processor will act very much like a 5800X should on it. If you know how Ryzen works it doesn't need a great motherboard to hit max clocks on boosts since it does it on light bursty loads...it will be a 4.7Ghz processor.

The thing not to buy it for is the 3070. I've seen other ROG prebuilts with 3070's, they are blower cards with aluminum block heatsinks. Very cheap. The base card...

Wolfshadw

Titan
If their shop says it's clocked at 2.5 GHz, then I would not expect to be able to get it up to the CPU manufacturer's specs on your own (with any stability). Trying to do so is just asking for trouble. I wouldn't touch that system with a 10' pole.

-Wolf sends

Dec 7, 2021
Wow, I’m surprised to hear that. So there’s no chance it was a typo, you think it was intentionally under clocked and it’s locked at 2.5? If that’s really the case I’ll have to keep browsing. Thanks for the insight.

Dec 7, 2021
I noticed that ‘4.7 boosted clock speed’ portion of the description as well and thought it was odd, something doesn’t add up. I asked the seller a long winded question and clock speed and so far all they’ve responded with was “The CPU speed of this product in our shop is 2.50GHz” which I thought was extremely odd and off putting.
And I hear you about the junk parts as well, the more research I do the less appealing a prebuilt sounds, 3070 be damned. Seems the proper move might end up being to buy a scalped gpu (which I didn’t wanna do lol) so that I can buy my own quality parts from a micro center and build one myself. I thought the pros would outweigh the cons, but with this suspect cpu speed issue on top of this PC’s abysmal cooling and a cramped inside with little to no room for adjusting/upgrading (according to reviews) it’s beginning to look pretty bad for the price. Even if I were to buy a scalped gpu I could probably build my own for less than this prebuilt if I reuse my current case + drives + PSU. Appreciate the help.

Wolfshadw

Titan
That has to be a misprint...
Most pre-builts are put together using junk parts
The processor might be able to get to 4.7GHz (on paper), but it's not going to happen with the crap motherboard we used in building this system. There's nothing saying that the motherboard simply doesn't support a 105watt processor. If the board only supports, say a 65watt processor, then it makes sense to underclock the processor.

-Wolf sends

Look...a 5800X is what it is. Nothing Asus can do will change that..so saying it's a '2.5Ghz' processor is either a lie or a misprint in that section since it says it is elsewhere. Whether or not the board is junk has nothing to do with that either.

The system might very well be junk, but I've no doubt the processor will act very much like a 5800X should on it. If you know how Ryzen works it doesn't need a great motherboard to hit max clocks on boosts since it does it on light bursty loads...it will be a 4.7Ghz processor.

The thing not to buy it for is the 3070. I've seen other ROG prebuilts with 3070's, they are blower cards with aluminum block heatsinks. Very cheap. The base card is probably as OK as any other 3070...just totally inadequate heatsink for that kind of card. No reason this one would be any different.

Last edited:
Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
I have no doubts that it's a 4.7GHz (boost) processor. However, if the motherboard is only wired to handle say a 65 watt processor, how hard can you push the CPU? The OP even states ASUS says it only runs at 2.5GHz. How else would you account for that?

-Wolf sends

Edit: Would YOU risk almost $2K to find out?

Edit: Would YOU risk almost $2K to find out?
No. Because the 3070, the only reason to buy it, is probably junk.

But if 5800X's were equally as impossible to find and I needed one I just might. It's that kind of crazy what the market is like.

Ryzen doesn't need a high power delivery board to boost to max clocks since it never does it with heavy workloads, only light work loads. It's the way it works.

Dec 7, 2021
Just to be clear, ASUS isn’t who told me the cpu was clocked at 2.5ghz, the Amazon seller told me that, their name is ‘Lucky Tech LLC’, just thought I should mention that in case it makes a difference.
Needless to say, it sounds like I should go to a micro center a buy my own parts and build it myself. I’m open to any and all help/recommendations! I’ll be building around a 3060 and a 3900x that I have in hand.