Pre-Order StarCraft II, Get Beta Access

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norb8

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Look at all you Blizzard lemmings. You believe anything that bullshit company tells you. I've been a beta tester for months, and its an okay game- as of 4 years ago.

First of all, none of you can obviously see the greediness of Blizzard in releasing a third of the campaign at a time. In the past, expansions existed to EXPAND THE GAME, not tell the original story.

As most of you, I've been a Blizzard and Starcraft fan since the original Warcraft game ( or Starcraft) since the 90s. I'm 23 now and Starcraft was released when I was 11. Basically, Blizzard's time is up and I've moved on to other genres that actually deliver sequels in a non ridiculous manner.

G

Just ordered 2 collectors, 25off did not work... I hope they give me at least 2 beta keys.

G

For those saying the $60 price point is Activisions doing, a friend of mine actually preordered SC2 from BestBuy over 3 years ago (before Blizzard was owned by Activision) and the price point was $60 even then. So as much as I hate Activision, the price of the game really isn't their fault this time.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Again I say $59.95 for a three part game. First off when did PC games start costing as much as kiddie console games. I guess when enough people will pay the price. Not me, FU Activision/Blizzard. I will wait for a Battle-Chest, patience is a virtue.

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Adroid[/nom]don't hold your breath ~ it will probably be 30$ in 3 years from nowIm in the beta its fun[/citation]

Not saying the game popularity will be equivalant but Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are two of the highest rated games of the past few months and they are already down in the $30 range...

Punifier

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]$60 is a good price for a COMPLETE game!This is 1/3!!! It should be $20 with free shipping.[/citation]

1/3 in the sense there's only one race for single player campaign, but there's an equal amount of missions, more story development, and more control for the player to "choose their fate"....Also, what about online play? You can use all races, and this is where i will spend vast majority of my time after completing the single player campaign.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think the whole idea that people are spouting about it being 1/3 of a game is wrong. Its a whole game with a full compliment of missions. The expansions coming out after though, if they're just more single player missions they'd better not charge more than say $15-20 for them. RTS games are not really about the single player experience.

norb8

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I think the whole idea that people are spouting about it being 1/3 of a game is wrong. Its a whole game with a full compliment of missions. The expansions coming out after though, if they're just more single player missions they'd better not charge more than say $15-20 for them. RTS games are not really about the single player experience.[/citation]

No its not wrong. Starcraft had ten missions for each race in 1997. Now its 30 missions for each race. How can you not see that Blizzard is using that opportunity to ask for more money to complete the storyline. Because essentially, you only get a one sided view to it.

Unless EACH expansion has additional units, gameplay elements, maps, cut scenes, and bonus features, they will not be purchased by myself and many other people. Blizzard's fans are very loyal, but this is pushing it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]norb8[/nom]No its not wrong. Starcraft had ten missions for each race in 1997. Now its 30 missions for each race. How can you not see that Blizzard is using that opportunity to ask for more money to complete the storyline. Because essentially, you only get a one sided view to it.[/citation]

So we had 30 missions in SC1 and now 30 missions in SC2 and that means that SC2 is 1/3 of the game? Would you rather they cut out 2/3 of the story for each and put it all in one game? That seems to be what you're asking for.

As for additional content for the expansions ouside of more campaign levels, I agree with you. Like I said, if they just want to release them as episodic content, then they'd better not charge much for them.

italstalpf3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
60 bucks is too much for PC games. I don't care how much content is in it, but they are milking the system charging 60 bucks. What happened to the old 40-50 buck RTS. Guess it has something to do with everyoen raising prices, anyways I won't be getting this. I am sure it will be a great game, but I will just wait a few years down the road or borrow it from one of my friends.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]itadakimasu[/nom]it's not going to go on sale for $29.99 bro... sorry. $60 is a bit steep but what do you expect of such a highly anticipated game?[/citation]

lol well i managed to troll down the beta a while ago on the net and try it out.

this game is not worth 60 dollars, sorry man. the other people who are over hyped about it which probably has died down considerably by now..can buy it.. but if i'm going to buy retail..i don't pay 60 bucks for a game, waste of money when you know that if you wait a little bit it will cost half or less. plus i have enough friends that evidentally one of them will have it and i'd be able to play it there for the time being (regardless of other ways to acquire the software that'd get me a lot of red).

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]drowned[/nom]I'll probably just play the pirated single player for a few years, then buy the collectors edition when it's 40 bucks.I can't justify working 5.5 hours to pay for it otherwise.[/citation]

congrats man that is probably the smartest thing I have heard for. the MAJORITY of the crap this wasteful society we live in shovels at us every day, we can do without and keep our money in the bank. most people won't learn this in their lifetime and get into severe credit debt.

G

Blizz' attention to detail makes their games tops. Lotsa gripes about the price, but face it... There's a lotta crap out there for $50-60.

I've had this on order since last June at BB. Time to cancel and visit GS.

ps... Check your BB Reward Zone points - all were removed in February. Visit forums to get the restored (and likely doubled).

mikecs

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
pay 60 bucks for a re-hash of an old game? great idea! I've been playing the beta and I hate to say it but the hype isn't worth it...the game is just SC1 with better graphics and some new units. I'll wait for a reduced price or a battlechest when all 3 are out.

ipokesnails

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]Just an update, I preordered two copies online on the 21st, and have yet to receive any beta instructions.[/citation]
I pre-ordered one on the 21st, I got a key on the 23rd.
The keys are limited, though, so if you don't get one you could always cancel the order.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]Just an update, I preordered two copies online on the 21st, and have yet to receive any beta instructions.[/citation]
I had to call to get it, the lady was very nice, aware of the promotion, and was able to quickly help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.