[SOLVED] Premiere Pro & Dota hang when open at the same time

KaleNovice

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 with 16gb Ram. However, when I keep my Dota and Premiere pro open at the same time, at some point, especially when I'm editing video, my screen will flash and stay hanged for a while, then went back to normal. After which, my video display on premiere pro will go blank , and my dota will hang. It almost happens every time, but not immediately.

May I know what could the reason be and is there a way I can solve this?

Really need help from you guys!

PS: Do let me know if there is additional information that you need

Solution
Per @Phillip Corcoran

"Could be insufficient VRAM on the Nvidia GPU to support both apps at same time."

That is a valid observation and there are ways to investigate such things.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one tool at a time) to observe system performance.

First, for example, with each app running individually, and second with both apps running simultaneously.

Keep all other things constant as much as possible.

You may discover some conflict or resource bottleneck. Especially when the screen hangs and flashes.

Process Explorer may also prove helpful but you will probably need to down load that from Microsoft's website.

Plus you can look in Reliability History. There may be error codes, warnings, or even...

KaleNovice

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Could be insufficient VRAM on the Nvidia GPU to support both apps at same time.
Thanks for the reply Philip! Is there a way we can check the Vram consumption when using both apps? Is the reference on task manager on GPU vram consumption accurate? I have tried MSI afterburner it works on Dota but won't work on Premiere pro. What is more, the MSI onscreen display only shows around 500 mb (vram) average on Dota, with 4gb vram, I'm wondering how it could be insufficient...

Ralston18

Titan
Per @Phillip Corcoran

"Could be insufficient VRAM on the Nvidia GPU to support both apps at same time."

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one tool at a time) to observe system performance.

First, for example, with each app running individually, and second with both apps running simultaneously.

You may discover some conflict or resource bottleneck. Especially when the screen hangs and flashes.

Process Explorer may also prove helpful but you will probably need to down load that from Microsoft's website.

Plus you can look in Reliability History. There may be error codes, warnings, or even information events being logged that correspond to the observed screen hang-ups.

Event Viewer is another tool that can likewise be used. Not as user friendly nor easy to understand in many cases.

Solution

KaleNovice

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Per @Phillip Corcoran

Plus you can look in Reliability History. There may be error codes, warnings, or even information events being logged that correspond to the observed screen hang-ups.

Event Viewer is another tool that can likewise be used. Not as user friendly nor easy to understand in many cases.
Hi Ralston thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it with the suggested tools tonight. Will update again on the outcome. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS