Premium Two-Channel PC Speaker Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Has the reviewer heard of Audioengine A2 speakers? They are outstanding 2 channel speakers for $199.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jdmi[/nom]Has the reviewer heard of Audioengine A2 speakers? They are outstanding 2 channel speakers for $199.[/citation]

Indeed, A2s are really good, though a bit on the weak side with 30 watts. But since you went with B&W you could have tested Audioengine A5s which are insanely awesome and cheaper than B&W's at ~$325.

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I'm really happy with my 4 year old creative soundworks 7.1 system... until now it still offers great sound, and having true 7.1 really rocks, especially in FPS... although i'm considering the logitech z5500.. hat sounds amazing and looks even better...

icehot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Nice review, I bought the Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II about 4 months ago, and have loved them, the sound is superb.

titaniumsquirrel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
The AV 40s were the first speakers I've ever owned that failed on me. I don't care how good they sound if reliability is an issue. I'm never purchasing another M-Audio product. Decided to go with a pair of Gigaworks refurbs for a fraction of the price afterward and have been very pleased.

megatron46

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Nice Speakers but i like my Monitor Audio RX8 teamed with Definitive Technology Supercube I sub and Cambridge Audio Azur 840A Amp.......

G

Well, I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I'm well into music. I tried lots of 'computer' speakers, only to find that none comes close to even sub-par 'hifi' speakers.
So, I went for a pair of Mackie MR8 - which are pro audio monitors. They're not much more expensive than high-end PC speakers - but it's a totally different world in any respect: sound quality, power, you name it.
If you're serious about sound, check them - they're discounted everywhere.
By the way, I'm driving them with a Fucusrite Saffire Pro24 DSP: a killer combination.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
For that kind of money I would rather just get this...

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/

That way I also get a dedicated sub.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hopefully we'll see a 5.1+ article soon as well. I have a Logitech z5500 that I use for PC as well as TV and Xbox, and I'd love to see how other surround systems stack up.

I do find it odd that you'd include a $500 2 speaker setup, yet you don't include any systems in the ~$50 range. It seems like $500 2 speaker systems is a very niche market, my 5.1 system cost less than that, and it can function as a home theater system as well. It would be interesting however to throw a cheap system in there to see if there is a big difference. The $100 and $500 seemed amazingly close.

orodreth

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
The article should have provided additional parameters around which the selections were determined (unless you sampled only speakers that manufacturers were giving you for free in exchange for the review... though that would be nice to know). Price is probably the number one differentiation that consumers would consider. Then you have physical dimensions, power, inputs/outputs, and perhaps frequency response, which would be the collection of main factors that might categorize purchasing decisions.

The only two criteria cited were 2.0 configuration and "pc speakers" which would presume that all of the samples had to have their own internal powered amplifier. If you were trying to get a sampling amongst a wide price range, your sample size is too small, though that might also be due to the limited vendor options noted.

THG, you can be more comprehensive than this. You guys do Video Card reviews by price bracket and you're claiming sound is the big #2 sense used in computer use. You could do 2.0 speakers in two or three price brackets, 2.1 speakers in the same brackets and 5.1 or 7.1 in same brackets. We know you have the intelligence and enthusiasm :)

cyrusfox

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]No love for the budget minded folk?[/citation]

While a bit of a pain to set up in Windows 7, these are great for the budget lover
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836157008

LOGISYS Computer SP8000BK 4.1 Speakers for $30 from newegg.

Or you could go the other route, and just use a receiver and hand select your own speakers. Unfortunately it is hard to find nice used receivers at a decent price.

wasupmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
agree with how good the M-Audio speakers sound... ya, they're a bit pricey... but they're that good sounding - especially good for 'audio professionals'

so if it's within anyone's budget... they're very worth considering - even over more complex setups (like 2.1)

cleeve

Illustrious

There are a few things I can tell you to help understand the process.

You'll notice we try and segment our roundups: this is on purpose. As a writer I'm responsible for a lot of content, so i can't spend a month on the mother of all speaker roundups. I pick and choose price segments and markets, in this case I looked for the highest-end 2.0 speakers from a number of manufacturers. The idea is that if the readership responds well it justifies a follow up--another article in the future that covers another segment of products, in this case perhaps headphones or surround systems. So over time we create a large body of reference.

As for test samples, we don't have a purchasing budget. We ask companies if they'd like to participate and if they don't want to there's not much we can do, so the roundups you see typically include a fraction of the products we tried to test.

To summarize: In a perfect world every article we wrote up would be the ultimate comprehensive guide, but the realities dictate we bite off smaller chunks than that.

Hope that clears some things up for you,

- Don

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Wonder how my $30 z-5's stack up?[/citation]
I'll match them against my 9$ Cyber Acoustics CA-2002 anytime! Just kidding, I still have the Altec Lansing 641 I bought 10 years ago at a bargain price. Amazing sound and power for the price! I only use the front satellites though. I find the hassle of running wires for 4.1/5.1 surround sound not worth it these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.