Presario r3000 has a "replaceable video card"?

basscleff

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I have a presario r3000, after a while the video starts to get fuzzy and distorted. I believe its a heat issue, or the GPU is on its way out. I was told that the video can be replaced, either a daughtercard, or a socketed gpu, can anyone offer any assistance, or verify that the video (card/GPU) can be replaced?

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
As far as I know, it is an onboard soldered chip. I have one with a nvidia 440 go, and it's definatly soldered to the board, as the video memory chips. Dead chip is dead board.

hansonesh

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
The video card is under the keyboard and is in a slot that can be removed. What is compatible or not I do not know. There is also the second ram slot there as well with a removable 256 megs of ram. I also do not know if the board can take more then 1.25 gigs of ram.

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005

Nonsense, it's an onboard nvidia for amd or ati videochip for intel. 2 slots can hold 2 pieces of 1 gigabyte memory.

hpnotebooks

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

No that is the wireless card the graphic chip is soldered onto the motherboard

xndr

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I tried repairing one of these for a friend. The LCD becomes so populated with artifacts (flickering lines, stuck characters) that the computer is no longer usable. We did replace the LCD cable, which seemed to be in bad shape -- it's a frightening hand-made tangle of thin-guage wire wrapped in silver tape. It runs through the laptop's hinge, so after years of opening and closing the lid, some wires could well have broken. Got a very inexpensive replacement from eBay, but it didn't help at all. Since I'm seeing the same issue on the VGA monitor I attached for testing, it's GOT to be the GPU. But after taking apart the ENTIRE case (more screws than I have ever seen), I have found no way to replace the video card, and it now seems hopeless. If anybody has found a solution, let us know...

hpnotebooks

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
check with an external lcd display using a standard vga cable or into a plasma with pc input etc. if the lines are there on the external then its the graphic chip if no lines then its the lcd screen itself ;)

xndr

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

Yes, as mentioned in my first post: Since I'm seeing the same issue on the VGA monitor I attached for testing, it's GOT to be the GPU.

The question remains: is there any way to replace the broken chip? (Apparently not.)

hpnotebooks

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
not really unless you have a desolder station but the replacement chip it would be expensive - cheaper getting a motherboard off ebay we sell them every so often search ebay for item 360167011203 this one takes an athlon cpu