pandreas21

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I have read that some new Prescotts have 64-bit extensions but are locked. I was wondering if there is some known way of enabling this feature through a hardware hack. Also which processors have this "inside"? Thank you

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
I don't believe you can unlock the 64bit in Prescott.

I think that only when you make the CPU you can choose to enable it or disable it, afterwards it will stay off forever.

I once read that even early Willimate core had Hyper Threading disabled :)

===========================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
No there is no current Prescotts with that instruction set. Hardtweak is futile.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are P4's (I believe based on Prescott core) with 64-bit instructions (Intel's version of AMD's instruction set). As far as I know only Gateway and Dell are able to get them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Hmm that could explain why I never ran into one, I DONT TOUCH OEMS!!!

However Im going to prod around with my dell contacts of that info.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
After Intel fills the OEM server/workstation market, you might see the 3.2F, 3.4F, and 3.6F hit the streets.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>