[SOLVED] Pressing A+Shift keys produces left/right pointing arrows on the screen ?

Jun 15, 2021
Holding down the A key and pressing the Left Shift key will produce left/right pointing arrows (<>) on the screen.

i cannot find a pattern for it and it seems kind of random. I didn't change anything when it started happening. I tried updating and reinstalling keyboard drivers along with changing keyboard language but neither helped.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
MBO: Gigabyte M68MT-S2P
OS Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Last edited:
Solution
Try the keyboard on another known working computer.

Try another known working keyboard on your computer.

Determine if the problem follows the Storm Devastator keyboard or stays with your computer.

May well be that that 5 year old keyboard is nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Did you just install some game, app, or perhaps an update? If so, what?

Make and model keyboard, age, condition (new, refurbished, used)?

Did you manually download the keyboard drivers yourself via the keyboard manufacturer's website? Reinstall and reconfigure thereafter? [No third party driver installers.]

Likely you have enabled some custom key press configuration for a game or app.

Why/reason for the use of A + LEFT SHIFT sequence?

What is expected to happen with that key combination?

(Considering that LEFT SHIFT + A would normally result in an upper case "A" - you are reversing the keystroke order.)

On my system "A" + LEFT SHIFT after a few seconds popped up a Window about sticky keys and referenced me to Ease of Access keyboard settings.

The > symbol can be produced by holding down alt and typing 62 on the numeric keypad.

(Arrow appears when alt is released.)

< uses 60

Reference:

http://bpeck.com/references/AltKeystrokes.html

Knowing/recognizing the codes may help discover the cause.

Jun 15, 2021
Looking into my download history the last thing i installed was FACEIT but i remember clearly that this issue was occuring 2-3 days before this installation at which point i didn' install anything else. The keyboard is a used (about 5 year old) Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator, never had any issues with it before. No real reason to use A+Left Shift, when typing fast it seems i press this sequence quite often, can't think of any other reason. Sticky keys are off for me and spamming this sequence has no result outside of the one i stated before. Using numpad as you stated (ALT+62 and 60) has the same effect on my keyboard.

Ralston18

Titan
Try the keyboard on another known working computer.

Try another known working keyboard on your computer.

Determine if the problem follows the Storm Devastator keyboard or stays with your computer.

May well be that that 5 year old keyboard is nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

Solution