Price vs quality - help on a Rx 580 pls

Sep 21, 2018
I'm planning on buying a RTX 580 8gb from Germany: http://

My budget is €300 but I would gladly spend less. Currently I can get a Red Dragon for €230 and a Xfx GTS black for €259. The problem is, Powercolor is plain average and the warranty is just 2 years. XFX is unknown to me and there are not enough reviews of it online.

I could also go for a Pulse (the price difference to XFX is small), as Sapphire is great, but is it worth the extra cash? ROG Strix and Nitro+ are also in my budget, albeit near the upper limit.

Which will be the best investment given my budget in terms of durability and temps? I have a Nzxt s210 case w/o extra fans if that affects temps.

Thanks!

Solution

All three have identical specs in terms of clocks, on paper they look like they will perform same but, the difference is in the TDP of the cards, it seems like the XFX has inferior VRM compared to other two.

XFX vs Nitro+:
The Nitro has a very good VRM and Cooler and will run good out of the box (5 to 10 Fps more)
Nitro+ cs ROG:
The ROG has equally good VRM and cooler but the TDP and target temp is set lower, so will run cool but performance is less compared to Sapphire. Good room for OCing according to MAX TDP and cooler performance.
The ROG will never throttle even with mild OC.
XFX:
The XFX should run equal compared to ROG and...

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
1) Go for Sapphire Nitro+ if you have cash, it runs cool, has much higher OC than other brands(chooses the Good chips).
2) ROG strix is very good too, you will have nothing to worry about with Asus's support and warranty, Strix lineup usually runs cool.
3) XFX is (maybe was) a very popular brand with AMD GPUs. They don't cheap out on components even though they are not a big brand but they do use average thermal paste it seems (everyone does). I have an XFX RX470, had an XFX HD 4670(10 years old, still rocking) before.
4) I don't know much about Powercolor though.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

All three have identical specs in terms of clocks, on paper they look like they will perform same but, the difference is in the TDP of the cards, it seems like the XFX has inferior VRM compared to other two.

XFX vs Nitro+:
The Nitro has a very good VRM and Cooler and will run good out of the box (5 to 10 Fps more)
Nitro+ cs ROG:
The ROG has equally good VRM and cooler but the TDP and target temp is set lower, so will run cool but performance is less compared to Sapphire. Good room for OCing according to MAX TDP and cooler performance.
The ROG will never throttle even with mild OC.
XFX:
The XFX should run equal compared to ROG and even under mild OCs.
So, don't pick the ROG.

Yes, the Nitro+ is worth the cost when comparing it to the XFX. It has better cooler, much higher TDP(vastly better VRM).

If you plan to OC go for the Nitro+. If not, and ok with playing 5 to 10 fps less, go for the XFX.

If you are planning to buy only the GPU now go for the Nitro+ all the way.
If you are putting up a new PC and have to buy other components too and running short on money go for the XFX. I would personally lean towards buying the Sapphire.

Solution