Pricing of Duron vs Tbird

G

I can't help but notice, as I try to decide what comptuer to build, that the prices at pricewatch.com of the tbird and duron are close

Tbird Duron
750 73 750 59 +14 for Tbird
800 100 800 71 +19 for Tbird
850 104 850 96 +5 for Tbird
900 123

Now when looking at this, who wouldnt pay the extra 10-20 dollars for the Tbird? Yeah, the Duron is a great deal, but for 4x the L2 cache at the same speed (full instead of half, like the Athlon) I guess I just dont understand why they are so close together in price.

#Ranked <font color=blue>6 in US</font color=blue> 2v2 Cstrike# -Feb 7 OGL Ladder (well, it's one of the largest ladders)

G

because amd is stupid and their pricing strategy means that durons have no place in the market.

G

Hmm, not quite the answer I was looking for. I'm going to have to assume that AMD is doing something to make money :eek:). I've also heard that AMD is looking at putting 128k of L2 cache onboard the dUron... that would take the Duron from being just a few steps down from the Tbird, to being a real competitor. Which brings me back around to my original question, what is the difference between the two other than the cache? They seem to run at pretty comparable speeds..

#Ranked <font color=blue>6 in US</font color=blue> 2v2 Cstrike# -Feb 7 OGL Ladder (well, it's one of the largest ladders)

G

People seem to be able to overclock their Durons a little more than Tbird owners can. I know I can't get my Tbird 700 beyond 950 without major stability issues. But still the price is so close I can't see not buying a Tbird. Even the 3 highest Tbirds are getting really low. The 1GHZ Tbird is almost at what I originally paid for my 700. It seems to be more so AMD can say they have a value line. The truth is that compared to Intel the Tbirds are a great value.

G

AMD in general only produces value line processors :eek:).. I mean look at the T-bird, for an 850 it's only 105 bucks?! :O) what can you get for 105 dollars??

PIII 450 = 105
Celeron 766 = 113
Tbird 850 = 104
Athlon 800 = 104
Duron 850 = 96

Hmm, wide selection but AMD seems to have nothing but value processors :) Whereas intel has more expensive, "top o da line" processors.... but for my money, I think I'm gonna have to go with a Tbird 750-900 mhz

TRENDING THREADS