Print Server

norm

I currently have an HP 1012 Laserjet connected to my second computer
(win98) which is networked (shared) to my main computer (winxp). The only
problem is that the win98 computer must be turned on to print from the xp
computer.

If I use a USB print server on the win98 computer will that allow me to
print from the xp computer without turning on the the win98 PC?

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

"Norm" <ntaer@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I currently have an HP 1012 Laserjet connected to my second computer
> (win98) which is networked (shared) to my main computer (winxp). The only
> problem is that the win98 computer must be turned on to print from the xp
> computer.
>
> If I use a USB print server on the win98 computer will that allow me to
> print from the xp computer without turning on the the win98 PC?

You shouldn't hook the print server directly into your computer. It should
connect to a network switch or router. I recently did this with my inkjet
printer and a D-Link Ethernet print server. The print server connects to
one of the four ports on my d-link router and I can print from any computer
connected to the network without having any of the other ones on. It works
extremely well.

Henry