[SOLVED] Printer Sharing Over WiFi & Ethernet

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Hi all - I recently bought a pair of ZenWiFi XT8's to replace the crappy Sky Router/Booster I have here in the UK. So far so good and waiting for things to settle down so I can achieve the Download speed I was getting before. I changed to give better wifi coverage in my house and again so far so good.

I notice that the new Router has a USB 3.0 port so I figure that by connecting my Printer (Epson ET-4750) to it, would give access to other computers connected on my network by ethernet also. But this isn't an issue for me as all my computers can print anyway as the Printer is on the same network, again connected up by ethernet. I have always had concern that my Printer has to be either on Ethernet or Wifi and it needs to be switched depending on the method of printing.

So I'm wondering by connecting the Printer to the Router could other devices print to it, if they are on WiFi ? Hoping the router can transfer the wifi signals over ethernet, so I can leave the Printer on Ethernet printing.

Probably a dumb question but I am hoping, probably in vane though - thanks in advance

Solution
Hi all - I recently bought a pair of ZenWiFi XT8's to replace the crappy Sky Router/Booster I have here in the UK. So far so good and waiting for things to settle down so I can achieve the Download speed I was getting before. I changed to give better wifi coverage in my house and again so far so good.

I notice that the new Router has a USB 3.0 port so I figure that by connecting my Printer (Epson ET-4750) to it, would give access to other computers connected on my network by ethernet also. But this isn't an issue for me as all my computers can print anyway as the Printer is on the same network, again connected up by ethernet. I have always had concern that my Printer has to be either on Ethernet or Wifi and it needs to be...

kanewolf

Titan

I notice that the new Router has a USB 3.0 port so I figure that by connecting my Printer (Epson ET-4750) to it, would give access to other computers connected on my network by ethernet also. But this isn't an issue for me as all my computers can print anyway as the Printer is on the same network, again connected up by ethernet. I have always had concern that my Printer has to be either on Ethernet or Wifi and it needs to be switched depending on the method of printing.

So I'm wondering by connecting the Printer to the Router could other devices print to it, if they are on WiFi ? Hoping the router can transfer the wifi signals over ethernet, so I can leave the Printer on Ethernet printing.

Probably a dumb question but I am hoping, probably in vane though - thanks in advance
Having the printer connected via ethernet, all hosts should be able to access. Whether the device is ethernet or WIFI should not matter. The router bridges between the two types of connections.

Reactions: rozel
Solution

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Sorted - thank you. I've plugged the printer into the Router and followed the instructions for it. Smasung S10+ seems to print web pages using "Epson Print" software but can't see a generic way to print from android without it. Seems I have to "share" to printer once the above software has been installed. Does that seem correct? I use Aqua Mail but don't seem to see a way to print emails, if the email itself doesn't direct to a website. Not tried printing documents yet. Can do photos though.

Is there a better way?

kanewolf

Titan
Sorted - thank you. I've plugged the printer into the Router and followed the instructions for it. Smasung S10+ seems to print web pages using "Epson Print" software but can't see a generic way to print from android without it. Seems I have to "share" to printer once the above software has been installed. Does that seem correct? I use Aqua Mail but don't seem to see a way to print emails, if the email itself doesn't direct to a website. Not tried printing documents yet. Can do photos though.

Is there a better way?
I don't print from handhelds. But they generally need software help to print.

Reactions: rozel

rozel

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I don't print from handhelds. But they generally need software help to print.

Thank you. As my printer's an Epson, I have installed "Epson Print" on our android devices and can now print wirelessly from them :) , whilst at the same time print from my PC via the network ethernet-wise. Am a happy bunny now.

Most printers are now wireless. You can connect to them using Wi-Fi.

Yes our printer is wireless but when using it set in that mode, it knocks out usage via ethernet, which wasn't an option. The USB port on the new Router has sorted this as I hoped :):):)

TRENDING THREADS