[SOLVED] Private network beneath another network

Hevos93

Honorable
Mar 7, 2016
Hello!

I am thinking about buying myself a router. For context i am living with seven other students in a collective home, and i have been thinking about buying a router to plug into the shared router.
Then have my own private network where i could assign static IP's and set up a school server for the semester project.

Is this just a waste or is it something to it?

All answers are welcome, thanks:)

Solution
Not sure what your goal is.

If you just want to isolate some machines and them talk with each other then putting in a second router will accomplish that. It does not give you your own internet connection it is still shared and some things are made more complex with the second router in the path.

If you just want to isolate some machines and them talk with each other then putting in a second router will accomplish that. It does not give you your own internet connection it is still shared and some things are made more complex with the second router in the path.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Hevos93

Honorable
Mar 7, 2016

Yes i understand that i still will share the internet connection with the others, but i have no access to the shared router to manage anything. And the idea of a separate network is kind of cool to me, however i understand i will have to port forward ports so for example a minecraft server will be accessible to the rest. But what other things will become hard to do?

Some of the reason behind is that for the project i am doing i need to create a webserver, mailserver and domains, and i want to be able to do that with full control. And the WIFI from that router is unstable. especially the 5G connection. With a wired connection from the shared router to my router, will that solve the unstability?

kanewolf

Titan
Yes i understand that i still will share the internet connection with the others, but i have no access to the shared router to manage anything. And the idea of a separate network is kind of cool to me, however i understand i will have to port forward ports so for example a minecraft server will be accessible to the rest. But what other things will become hard to do?

Some of the reason behind is that for the project i am doing i need to create a webserver, mailserver and domains, and i want to be able to do that with full control. And the WIFI from that router is unstable. especially the 5G connection. With a wired connection from the shared router to my router, will that solve the unstability?
If you are going to create a windows domain, then you need a router to allow you to have a local DHCP server on the Windows server hidden from the rest of the house.

Reactions: SamirD